Author Topic: [KARA] KARA 5 Kartel  (Read 1660 times)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
[KARA] KARA 5 Kartel
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
KARA 5 Kartel is Big 2 meets Elements (the latter is my 5-suit solitaire game). Kartel uses a 5-suited deck with 12 ranks in each suit (total 60 cards). Each suit should have its own color, namely gold, green, black, blue, and red. Kartel is best played with 5 players, but it also works for 2-6 players.

Objective:
Be the first to empty your hand.

Deal:
Dealer deals all cards alternating to each player. For 2 players, you could deal 15 cards to each player. Dealer rotates counter-clockwise/to the right after each hand.

Play:
For the first game, the dealer is the leader and plays first. For subsequent games, the last winner becomes the leader in the next game.

Play goes counter-clockwise, to the right.

The leader may play any legal set of cards when the discard pile is empty. Everyone must follow by playing the same number of cards that beats the last set, even the leader.

If you can't or don't want to play any cards, you can pass. If everyone passes, empty the discard pile and the last player to play a set becomes the leader.

Card ranks:
Goddess is high and 1 is low. High card beats low card.
Cards and sets beat the same rank or value by comparing the suit/element of the key cards. These will be explained further under legal sets and by referring to the suit chart.
Also there is special quality for 5-card sets called rainbow/KARA, explained when it comes into effect.

Legal sets:
The legal sets that can be played are singles/solo, pairs/ships, three-of-a-kind/trips, and special 5-card poker hands/books.

1-card: High rank beats low rank. If same rank, the suit must beat old suit according to the suit chart.

2-cards: Only pairs/ships--two cards of the same rank--can be played. High rank beats low rank. If same rank, second ship wins.

3-cards:  Only three-of-a-kind/trips can be played. High card beats low card.

5-cards: Certain poker-like "books" can be played. They are in order from highest to lowest as follows:
5-of-a-kind::KARA 5
Straight flush::Mr. Honey
4-of-a-kind and must have an extra card::Quads
Flush::Honey
Full house::Umbrella
Straight::Mr.

For KARA 5 and Quads, the higher rank of the 4- or 5-of-a-kind wins.

For Mr. and Mr. Honey, high rank wins. Highest rank is GQP98 and lowest is 54321. If same rank, compare the suits of the highest card. However, Rainbow/KARA Mr. beats regular Mr. before rank comparison.

For Honey, compare each card from both sets in descending order until one card has a higher rank. If both set has the same ranks, then compare the suits.
Ex. GQP23 beats GP865
Ex. 87643 gold beats 87643 green

For Umbrella, rainbow/KARA Umbrella beats regular Umbrella. Otherwise, higher 3-of-a-kind wins.

Suit chart:
Gold beats Green and Black.
Green beats Black and Blue.
Black beats Blue and Red.
Blue beats Red and Gold.
Red beats Gold and Green.

Scoring:
When one player has no cards left in hand, the game ends.

If playing for points or money, calculate the score as follows.

First, each player counts the number of cards remaining in er hand. If e played three or fewer cards, double it. If e played no cards, triple it instead.
Ex. A 5-player game starts with 12 cards. If e has 1 to 8 cards left, e gets that many points. If 9, 10, or 11 cards left, e gets 18, 20, or 22 points, respectively. If 12 cards left, e gets 36 points.

Then for each opponent, the player with more points pays the difference to the other player.
Ex. Gyuri has 5 cards. Seungyeon has 0 cards. Nicole has 9 cards (=18 points). Hara has 5 cards. Jiyoung has 2 cards. They pay each other as follows:
Gyuri pays Seungyeon $5, gets $13 from Nicole, and pays Jiyoung $3. Hara does the same as Gyuri.
Seungyeon gets $5 from Gyuri and Hara, $18 from Nicole, and $2 from Jiyoung.
Nicole pays $13 to Gyuri and Hara, $18 to Seungyeon, and $16 to Jiyoung.
Jiyoung gets $3 from Gyuri and Hara, pays Seungyeon $2, and gets $16 from Nicole.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:16:31 PM by Den »
Support me on Patreon

I saw. I conquered. I came.