Author Topic: FFL2 - could i change it even further?  (Read 3221 times)

WildWildWolf

FFL2 - could i change it even further?
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »
Hello there! At first, i wanna give you some praise: I love your FFL2 mod! You did some really nice work there! Earlier i just used a tile-Edit-Software to change some of the graphics of the original FFL2 to produce a new game experience just for myself. Lately a question came up for me while playing your hack: I would like it very much to change two game variables for my own purposes: At first, i´d like to adjust the growing rates for humans and mutants for myself. Is it possible for a very casual ROM-user to understand and change those values? I don´t even know where to start...

The second change should be similar, but easier: I want the Bosses to be more of a challenge, especially since i tend to overlevel my characters. I would like to change their stats, especially their Hitpoints. Could you possibly create a "hard mode"-MOD of yours, or would you care to tell me how i might try it on my own? I really don´t wanna steal your nice work and i do understand it very well if you don´t have the time or just don´t wanna give me a hint because you might think i should find it out all by myself. But still i thought asking won´t hurt anyone.

I would appreciate a short answer. In any case: keep on your nice work! You´re doing very well!

Greetings from Germany!

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Re: FFL2 - could i change it even further?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
Get a hex editor to edit the ROM. Get my Excel file to tell you the hex offsets of the data blocks.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
Thanks for the hint, but the Excel-download does not seem to work anymore. :D

http://www.shenafu.com/ffl2/ffl2xls.zip

shenafu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:00:21 AM »
Would it be possible to modify the stat limits of the characters?  I'd like to find a way to change the max HP from 999 to 9999 and the max STR, AGL, DEF, and MANA from 99 to 999.  Thanks, and keep up the good work!

HP can already go up to 65535, however the max displayed for your team party is 3 digits or 999. Can't remember if it's possible to change it.

Other stats can already go up to 255, but the max displayed is 2 digits or 99. It can't go higher than 255.

Modifying any of these values will throw the race balance out of whack. Because each race's growth methods are different, you would have to look in several places in the ROM to update every race. It would require a lot of work to alter the data for all the monsters and items. Also beware dangers of dependencies on the stats. In particular, magic damage reduction is a function of division by 255. So 255 MANA means 100% resistance against magic damage; a char with 255 MANA takes no damage from magic spells.