Author Topic: [STD] Khans & Dragons of Tarkir - Magic Origins - Battle for Zendikar  (Read 974 times)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Support me on Patreon

I saw. I conquered. I came.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Re: [STD] Khans & Dragons of Tarkir - Magic Origins - Battle for Zendikar
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »
Halimar Awaken Prison

Highlight: Halimar Tidecaller is like Snapcaster Mage for awaken decks, and in some cases more abusable, repeatable here. Snapcastered spells are exiled. Halimar spells go back to graveyard, ready to recast again and again. It's also a lord granting flying to animated lands for the finish.

Apprentice MTGO
 5c Control
--Permanents 17
4 Mirror Mockery
4 Halimar Tidecaller
3 Retreat to Coralhelm
1 Kiora, Master of the Depths
4 Siege Rhino
1 Willbreaker

--Spells 15
4 Anticipate
3 Ruinous Path
3 Scatter to the Winds
4 Bring to Light
1 Planar Outburst
--Lands 28
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Forest
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Windswept Heath
2 Prairie Stream
2 Sunken Hollow
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Cinder Glade
1 Canopy Vista
3 Shambling Vent
2 Lumbering Falls
--Sideboard
2 Duress
1 Scatter to the Winds
2 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
2 Retreat to Kazandu
1 Utter End
2 Rising Miasma
1 Mire's Malice
1 Aligned Hedron Network
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
2 Exert Influence

This deck is very fun and strong.

Archetype = 5-color control with a possible soft-locks: Halimar Tidecaller & Mirror Mockery into Scatter, Path, and Malice. Discard + Counters ensure a stronger lock. If they play spells, you counter. If they don't, you make them discard.

Planeswalkers are quite strong right now. Nissa fetches a forest, then gets way better after transformation. Kiora gets you a land and a creature, and dumps the rest into the graveyard. Fortunately, Halimar Tidecaller can bring some of them back and feeds Jace.

Speaking of which, Willbreaker is ridiculous with Jace and Kiora and Retreat to Coralhelm. Steal a creature every turn with Planeswalkers, Retreat to Coralhelm, Rush of Ice and Mirror Mockery targeting the opponents' creatures. Each fetchland while Retreat is in play can steal two creatures; you may sacrifice the fetchland to steal at instant speed. Den Protector can retrieve fetchlands to be reused to steal more creatures. Keep Scatter to the Winds in hand to protect Willbreaker, then bring them back with Halimar.

Need a 2cc spell to help me get lands for at least first 5 turns. None of the cards in the format put a land directly into play for 2 mana. So next best thing is cantrip like Anticipate. Early game I'll choose land and late game it can help me get spells.

Many paths to victory: Siege Rhino, flying animated lands, stealing creatures.

How to play:

The main colors are blue and black. Your first few lands should provide mana of those two colors. Green is next for Nissa, Kiora, and Bring to Light. White is necessary to activate Shambling Vent and to cast Siege Rhino, Planar Outburst, and Utter End. Bring to Light (BTL) can find almost any spell as long as you have lands with different colors. There are no red spells; the red lands are there to support BTL. Keep getting lands into play; you will need a lot of them.

First few turns, you may use 1-3 cmc cards to stave off aggro. Even Mirror Mockery on opponent's creature if necessary. Play Planeswalkers to draw cards and keep the lands coming.

Mid and late game plans include the following. Cast Bring to Light as appropriate.
  • Siege Rhino damage and life drain. Smack on Mirror Mockery if possible.
  • Halimar lock. Better if opponent's board is clear, so you can enchant it with Mockery. Even if not, multiples of Halimar can let you recast Ruinous Path or Scatter multiple times.
  • Animate lands that then fly with Halimar in play. Cast spells with Awaken kicker, preferably putting the counters on Shambling Vents or Lumbering Falls. They then become huge creatures with lifelink or hexproof.
  • Finally, steal creatures with Willbreaker via Jace, Kiora, Mockery, or Retreat to Coralhelm.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:53:18 AM by Den »