Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2019-Sep-16 07:04

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Shoutbox

break:
Sep. 01 2019 - 2:22am
@Den  Thanks, I have not submitted it and it should be available in about 24~48 hours !!
Den:
Aug. 31 2019 - 11:48pm
the same field for robot stat boost
break:
Aug. 20 2019 - 6:30pm
@Den Small question, what determines which stat and item use increases after battle (For Humans/Mutants) ?
break:
Mar. 24 2019 - 7:46pm
@Den Just finished 2nd playthrough and testing session. I really like the edits I have made. Going to take another week to look over things !!
break:
Mar. 11 2019 - 7:04pm
@Den Hey, thanks for all of the support. Finished with the changes and currently playing through the game !!
break:
Feb. 25 2019 - 7:31pm
@Den Yo, finishing up the bosses and will do some more testing before the big release !!
break:
Feb. 18 2019 - 10:42pm
@Den Hey, got the main bosses edited and working on the treasure chests. Getting close to finished my edits !!
break:
Feb. 10 2019 - 9:11pm
@Den Yo, got the shops edited now and will start work on the treasure edits. I bit confused on monster chests ATM...

Author Topic: One-handed Keyboard Layout  (Read 2939 times)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
One-handed Keyboard Layout
« on: 2016-Jul-21 14:59 »
One-handed keyboard layout

Ideas:
For standard or split keyboards.
Left or right hand.
Shift with thumb or locked for one key.
Layers--one or two.
Numbers or no.
Support me on Patreon

I saw. I conquered. I came.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Re: One-handed Keyboard Layout
« Reply #1 on: 2016-Jul-21 23:47 »
1st try

Right Hand Typing

Code: [Select]
1061.422 total effort 199.759 positional effort left right
,gy.jz 11.856 same finger rp 5.290 shift same finger top 0.0 20.5
psrimx 0.000 hand alternat. 0.000 shift hand alter. mid 0.0 30.1
ctealk 1.264 inward/outward 85.651 inward or outward bot 0.0 18.5
fdnohv 44.765 adjacent 7.152 shift adjacent sum 0.0 100.0
bwuq 95.767 no hand altern. 0.000 two hand altern.
0.084 seesaw 0.000 indir same finger
--.- --.- --.- --.- --.- 18.7 26.3 22.2 21.3 11.5 Sh 0.0 4.8

« Last Edit: 2018-Jan-29 17:41 by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #2 on: 2018-Jan-29 17:42 »
1st try

Right Hand Typing

Suggestions:
  • space should be part of letters
  • omit rows 0 and 4
  • need more layers
  • thumbs only move between layers

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #3 on: 2018-Jan-29 22:51 »
Multi-layers for One-handed layout

Ten main keys: home block and inward index. Thumb for layer switching, and pinky for Enter and Tab.

Below layout matches the right hand.

Layer 0:
  nra
 st e
  hio

Layer 1:
  gdp
 yulc
  wmf

Layer 2:
  v,x
 jk.b
  zq'

Layer 0 is base layer without modifiers. Layer 1 could be accessed by Caps Lock. Layer 2 could be accessed by AltGr. Uppercase requires Shift in down position; can also try macro to capitalize the previous word.

Typing a letter should automatically revert back to Layer 0.

Num Lock unlocks numbers and puncs (not shown here).
« Last Edit: 2018-Jan-29 23:00 by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #4 on: 2018-Feb-22 06:02 »
If other hand is able, even staying at home keys to press modifiers would provides access to at least six layers. Base layer is unmodfied, then each offhand finger at home is another layer individually; if simultaneous modifiers is achievable, that's exponentially more layers.

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-Jun-05 15:55 »
Hi Den! You're almost the only one who is engaged in modern development of the layout for one-handed typing. I didn’t find exhaustive information anywhere, and so I decided to contact you.

I seriously need a right-handed touch-typing layout. I have only one working hand (cerebral palsy), but my work is connected with daily typing. Therefore, I am looking for solutions to my problem, but the information on the Internet is not enough to form an opinion.

I'm waiting for the arrival of the mechanical keyboard |
"Jian" https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/apfxsj/ic_jian_an_ergo_40_split_keyboard_gb_links_in_the/. This is a reworked Ergodox with only 22 keys on each half (including the keys for the thumb). The philosophy of this keyboard is in ergonomics, so that each finger does not move away from the homerow further than one key.
After trying to learn touch typing without peeping with one hand on a standard full-size qwerty keyboard, I liked this idea very much.

First of all, I considered the Maltron layout and Frogpad layout, then one-handed and regular-mirrored Dvorak. Then I tried to create my own layout based on the percentage of pressure. Then I found BEAKL and, finally, this thread.
 And all mixed up in my head.

Den, can you please explain why you developed this particular layout? And what is your opinion on frogpad layout? And one-handed and mirrored dvorak and maltron and so on. 
Please tell about it at least briefly. Thank you in any case.

Gene.
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-08 11:38 by m2gene »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #6 on: 2019-Jun-06 02:39 »
For constant usage, instead of typing, consider alternative input methods that don't require hands, namely voice dictation. A novel idea may be to swipe on a tablet or smartphone keyboard, and somehow send the characters to your PC.

I don't actually type with one hand. It was more of an emergency in case one hand is preoccupied. And also for completeness sake in light of other topics about input layouts. I did use sparingly a 1-hand layout that predates this topic and not shown here, but haven't used it in years. Probably created this topic to find better layouts than the one I used.

I've tried 1-hand dvorak, but don't like it at all. Using one hand to cover the same area as two hands is too cumbersome. Haven't tried the others you mentioned, but considering they use specialized physical design, means probably costs a premium before knowing if it works for you. Although you can program the logical layout in AutoHotkey and test drive.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #7 on: 2019-Jun-06 02:59 »
I just got some new ideas for 1-hand design. Involves 12 main finger keys, 6 layer access keys, and 4 modifiers. Plus a key to instantly revert back to base layer and turn off all modifiers. Main keys and layer access keys are placed in 4 rows by 5 column matrix, for total 20 keys. 4 thumb keys are curvacious and extends from the matrix ergonomically.

First, consider we need 96 ASCII characters, including the space and enter. This evenly divides into 12; thus 8 layers are needed to access every ASCII char. Naturally the 12 keys are the 9 home box, pinky home, inside index, and upper middle. Optimally assign every char to appropriate layers.

Consider how we access 8 layers. Reserve 4 layer access keys, altogether can be doubled with Shift modifier. Thus 8 layers are easily accessed. That is,

LayerShort name
 Base, letters part 1  L0
 Shift Base  S0
 Letters, part 2  L1
 Shift Letters2  S1
 Numbers  Num
 Shift numbers  SN
 Punctuations  Punc
 Shift Puncs  SP

The two main thumb keys access the base layer and to shift. The remaining 3 layer access keys are positioned at the corners around the main matrix, reached by the index and pinky. Then there are 3 more layers for other functions: Fn, Sys, Move. These access keys go at the farthest edges of the matrix.

The 2 remaining thumb keys for Ctrl and Alt; and the final modifier Meta/Win somewhere on the matrix. Almost forgot the all-important Backspace.

See image (created at http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/)

Alternatively, to make the whole design compact, the thumb cluster could be made to swing in and out. The cluster would then be linear, so that it could fold into the matrix, and the whole thing would be portable square. When you're ready to type, swing the cluster away from the matrix.
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-06 04:19 by Den »

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-Jun-06 15:44 »
Wow, this is a really cool solution! Let me offer a 96/16 = 6 upgrade based on 40% keyboard (like corne or jian) and qmk firmware.

Top Legend : one regular tap;
Middle Legend : double tap (tap dance option);
Bottom Legend : key pressed.
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/065352dbdcd0908a2cfd57825dc45a4b

Qmk firmware offers ample opportunities for compaction, so it may still be possible to free up some space. Although it seems to me that it is better to leave it like this. Because otherwise you will have to abuse tapdance and sticky taps or something like that.

And finally, I discovered chorded keyboards. Now I am exploring whether it is possible to transfer some tricks from this method.

For example, this baby called wakizashi reproducing 3072 chords.

And please tell about the composition of the layouts themselves. Why such a choice?
Layer 0:
  nra
 st e
  hio

Layer 1:
  gdp
 yulc
  wmf

Layer 2:
  v,x
 jk.b
  zq'

I thought earlier to take the one-handed Dvorak or Frogpad layout as a basis. By the way - here is the Frogpad layout:

Left-Handed

And Right-Handed
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-06 16:56 by m2gene »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #9 on: 2019-Jun-06 18:46 »
OPTing got this layout for the right-hand:

BEAKL 1HR x1

L0
         u
        arn
       oe ts
        ihl

L1
         j
        gym
       kpcdw
        bvf

Seems most vowels are typed with index finger. The space is home middle finger. 'THE' trigram can be pretty fast.

The remaining 3 letters will be put on punc layer.

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2019-Jun-06 19:26 »
Looks just awesome! Finally there is a modern polished layout. Now I need to apply it in practice. I will describe the result.
Thank you so much for your work and for the forum. Your help is invaluable.

You are the only one who professionally approaches today to developing one-handed layouts. At least this is the only place in the whole Internet where I found a solution. Not on reddit and stackoverflow. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-06 19:33 by m2gene »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #11 on: 2019-Jun-06 21:00 »
eh I wouldn't say I'm professional at this. It's more intellectual curiosity. Plus you can get a lot of things done when you have great tools, like Opt.

to be fair, Frogpad layout looked promising. although not a fan of huge buttons. so you may be better off programming that layout onto a reprogrammable ergonomic keyboard for a similar experience.

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-Jun-06 23:31 »
Where can I get that tool? I have not found by myself.

Regarding the layout, to be honest, I do not want to change to frogpad layout. Because your layout fits better into the layout of the function keys. But still, although the frogpad layout developed specifically for single-handed input.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/065352dbdcd0908a2cfd57825dc45a4b
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-07 00:40 by m2gene »

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2019-Jun-07 00:56 »
I still have not found full layers layout for Frogpad. But found the user manual where it seems everything is with schemes.
Here, for the overall development(the Microsoft site): https://www.microsoft.com/buxtoncollection/a/pdf/Froggy-Manual-USB.pdf

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2019-Jun-07 15:50 »
OPTing got this layout for the right-hand:

I can not find this tool anywhere. Could you write a link please.

I want to develop a beakl layout for my non-Latin language.
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-07 15:53 by m2gene »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #15 on: 2019-Jun-07 21:08 »
Complete the remaining layers:

BEAKL 1HR x1

Num
         =
       /01.+
        -4*

SN
         %
        87:
       $56#!
        <9>

Punc
         q
        ["]
       ;(')z
        {x}

SP
         Q
        |_^
       @\`?Z
        &X~

Misc. layers

Fn
          F1
       F2 F3 F4
    F5 F6 F7 F8 F9
      F10 F11 F12

Sys
                ScrLk
         PrSc   Esc     Ins
 NumLk   Copy   Paste   Cut  CapLk
        Pause   SelAll  Save

Move
               ScrUp
         Tab    Up     PgUp
   Home  Left   Down    Right   End
         Click  ScrDn  PgDn
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-11 04:28 by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #16 on: 2019-Jun-07 21:48 »
I can not find this tool anywhere. Could you write a link please.

I want to develop a beakl layout for my non-Latin language.

Opt is by people who created AdNW layout.

Download Opt: http://509.ch/opt.7z

bouncepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-Jun-10 15:36 »
Greetings, I am the author of aforementioned Wakizashi keyboard. I'm going to say something about it and my ideas about one-handed keyboards.

To begin with, I wanted to create a keyboard that had chords and was one-handed. I wasn't really going to use it as a main keyboard, I just wanted to check out how cool chords are and to learn more about keyboard craft.

As you can see, there are 8 keys for fingers and 3 keys for thumb. A finger can press two keys easily, especially if the switches are the lightest Gateron Clear. Thus, all finger keys can be pressed, resulting in 2^8-1 possible combinations. Each such combination is a chord.

Also, the thumb keys. They are also used in chords. Two keys can be pressed by thumb, resulting in 6 combinations (including the situation when no thumb keys are pressed). Now, we have 6(2^8-1) chords. As a Russian, I have to use two writing systems and two layouts. Double the number of chords (there are, like, two layers of them: Cyrillic and Latin): 2*6(2^8-1) = 12*255=3060. Good enough.

As it turned out, chords are extremely easy to learn and to use, but it became really hard to use computer, as I use all modifiers heavily, and it wasn't easy to use them on Wakizashi.

Right now I'm developing my next keyboard, Sequira, that is more like traditional ergoboards, but has some chords for rare letters and has separate modifier keys. However, it's not on topic, because it is two-handed keyboard.

Returning to one-handed keyboards. I think the ‘area’ of chords should be of size 5*3 (on Sequira it is 4*3, but 5*3 would be good as well). There should be 4 thumb keys with modifiers and most used action keys on them. Also, hypothenar should be utilised as well (Sequira has shown me it's a good idea). Not sure about thenar though. Some extra keys can be placed as well, but they should not be used in chords.

There isn't much information available about both Wakizashi and Sequira on the net, because I stopped using Wakizashi a couple of days after I made it and Sequira is simply not done yet (well, I can type on it, but very slowly and the layout is not optimised).

If you are interested, you could take a look at my website, there are some pictures of Wakizashi (Russian language): https://bouncepaw.github.io

Also, check out my github, both firmwares are open sourced: https://github.com/bouncepaw

Furthermore, I invite you to my telegram channel (Russian language as well): https://t.me/s/bpblog

In conclusion, we, the Russian DIY keyboard community, would be happy if you joined our chat: https://t.me/klavaorgwork. Almost everyone there speaks English, so don't be shy.
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-10 15:52 by bouncepaw »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #18 on: 2019-Jun-11 16:17 »
There's definitely two schools of thought: layers vs chords. Chords is potentially faster in the style of stenography, where one chord predicts and outputs multiple words. However, chords also require special hardware and firmware/software to recognize chords and "smart" output. And also demands great dexterity from the user and memory of words and phrases.

Layers is easier to use and implement. It can done purely with software. The downsides is switching between all the different layers can be cumbersome at first.

For that matter, just finished implementing the proposed 8-layers layout in Autohotkey. For the most part, the positions of each character and special functions feel pretty good. But as mentioned about layers, it demands a lot of switching between layers. Otherwise, it is pretty easy to get used to. Would be helpful to have a visual chart handy while learning the layout.

Download the .ahk file. Note you need to set your Windows system keyboard layout as Dvorak, since the script replaces the right half of Dvorak. Also I use CapsLock to revert to base layer L0 due to my personal Kinesis Advantage 2 configuration. But feel free to modify the script to fit your needs.

https://bitbucket.org/Shenafu/beakl/src/master/ahk/dv2rhand.ahk

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-Jun-28 20:52 »
Hello, Den.
What is the best way to adapt the Frogpad layout to my keyboard? In my keyboard sheme I have 18 keys for characters plus 6 keys for modifiers. At the same time on the modifiers I can not place punctuation characters,
because there are no place for it. Or maybe it is better to try to make another layout using opt, adapted to my keyboard? Or is it better to change the scheme of my keyboard by removing the last row from the pinky?

Explanation of inscriptions on modifiers:
Spoiler:
On top of each modifier is written the value that is triggered by a single tap. A single tap means that you pressed the button and immediately released it without clamping. At the bottom of each modifier is written the value that works when you hold the key. Such tricks are allowed by qmk firmware, which I am going to use in my keyboard.
In total, there are 6 modifiers on my keyboard sheme, one at the top, one at the right, and 4 at the bottom as the thumbcluster. The lowest 3 keys in the figure are not physical keys. This is a schematic representation of the clamping of two adjacent keys simultaneously. In one chat about mechanical keyboards, I was assured that when selecting the right keycaps with suitable faces, I would be comfortable holding two keys at the same time on the thumbcluster, especially since the keys on the tambcluster on my scheme are arranged in a row. The point is that it will be convenient for the thumb in the recess between the two keys when clamped.
The Shift key is not present in this scheme because I plan to use the qmk firmware autoshift option. It allows you to print capital letters by briefly clamping the key. Just a few milliseconds of delay, this value is configurable. Thus, you can also add a Shift button to a hotkey)
Therefore, I did not add CapsLock to my scheme in order to save space.
I did not add the Dell modifier to the scheme either, due to the fact that I plan to use Vim in all applications. Using Vim also implies that the `Move` layer is not needed. But I still left it on the schema in order to make it clearer for you to read the drawing.
Thus,
L0 or the zero layer is typed without pressing modifiers. It is the first alphabetic layer.
L1 is the second alphabetical layer. It is typed when the Space key is held down (home position of the thumb).
PUNC the third layer, is typed while simultaneously clamping CTRL and ESC. For a user of a classic keyboard, this may seem wild, but qmk firmware allows such things, and I intend to use it) This way the rest of the layers are typed. Besides, I have absolutely no muscle memory yet.

Here are the first two layers of Frogpad layouts. Cut everything except letters and punctuation.

/* LO
,------------------------------------.
|    F   |   A   |    R    |    W  |   P     |     
|------+------+------+------+------+
|   O   |    E   |    H    |    T   |   D    |
|    U   |    I    |    N   |     S  |     Y   |
`------+------+------+------+-------'
         |     ,    |    .     |                   
         `---------------'
/* L1
,------------------------------------.
|        |     '    |   B     |   M   |    J    |     
|   Q   |     Z  |    L    |   C    |    V   |
|         |         |    K   |   G    |    X    |
`------+------+------+------+-------'
          |    ,    |     .    |                   
          `--------------'

But I'm not sure that the Frogpad layout will suit me at all, because there are no additional columns on it, especially on the pinky. Although it is possible to assign rare letters to inconvenient keys and add 3 punctuation characters to a free space in a character field. The Frogpad layout has 15 keys for characters, and in my keyboard layout there are 18 keys for characters. So 18-15 = 3 free keys for characters. But how best to arrange all this, I do not know.
At the same time, there is no place for punctuation on modifiers in my sheme. Location and function of modifiers I think is good, and would not want anything here to change. Therefore, all the punctuation characters will have to be placed in the character field. Despite the fact that in the Frogpad layout, 2 punctuation characters are located on the modifier keys, regardless of the layer.

I am trying to generate a custom keyboard layout for my keyboard using opt. But I do not know how to indicate effort on the additional row of the little finger:

In addition, I have not yet been able to create a opt configuration file for my keyboard scheme.

Please tell me what to choose. Also I really need help with the generation of the layout, with the map of efforts and with the opt configuration file. Thank you very much. I  am really looking forward to your advice.

P.S.: In the config file, everything is clear in general, but it is absolutely not clear how to calculate the effort.
« Last Edit: 2019-Jun-29 12:06 by m2genie »

m2genie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-Jul-02 13:15 »
Den, how did you optimize the config file for compiling one-handed layouts? I understood all options and settings in the config file.

3 Guests, 1 User