Author Topic: Mechanics  (Read 15387 times)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Re: Mechanics
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »
I think blind faith is best exemplified by Miracle's unpredictability, praying for help and luck. OTOH, science is known for getting similar, reliable results through repeatable experiments and empirical evidence.

Test subject <COST> (You may cast this from the graveyard for its test subject cost as an Aura spell with enchant creature.)

e.g.

Gienni Pig
Creature - Boar
Test subject (You may cast this from the graveyard for its test subject cost as an Aura spell with enchant creature.)
Trample
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and has trample.
3/3

Also works great with self mill.

Analyze N (To analyze, look at the top N cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.)

Group Research
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~, tap an untapped creature you control.
Analyze 3. (Look at the top 3 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and the rest into your graveyard.)

//////////////////////////

Rummage N (Exile the top N cards of your library. You may put one of them on top of your library.)

There's still opportunity for players to make the right play. There's still risk of losing other cards permanently, but at least you keep the best. Not unlike Fact or Fiction.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:43:40 AM by Den »
Humans can be gay.
Superman is superhuman.
Q.E.D. Superman can be supergay.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:22 PM »
More possible Dimir evergreen mechanics

Brain damage (When ~ deals combat damage to a player, look at their hand and the top card of their library. You may exile one of them.)

Brainwash N (When ~ deals combat damage to a player, look at the top N+N cards of their library. Exile N of them and put the rest into their graveyard.)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:17 PM »
re: [GDW] Ascend - A Boros Mechanic
Perhaps a nice twist of Monstrosity. Ascended creatures become anthems that grant bonuses to all creatures you control. Note Leader is a creature type.

<COST>: ~ ascends N ranks. (If ~ isn't a Leader, put N +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes a Leader.)

As long as ~ is a Leader, all creatures you control get <SOMETHING>.

ex.
As long as ~ is a Leader, all other creatures you control get +1/+1.
As long as ~ is a Leader, all creatures you control have first strike.
As long as ~ is a Leader, all creatures you control have flying.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:33:56 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »
Mana chain (When this enters the battlefield, choose target creature. As long as this is alive, the chosen creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature unless you pay .")

Ex.
Tabernacle Uncle
Creature - Human
Mana chain (When this enters the battlefield, choose target creature. As long as this is alive, the chosen creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature unless you pay .")
Protection from the chosen creature
2/2

Slippery Fish
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
The chosen creature can't block ~.
2/2

Benxhi Fraengk
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Whenever ~ or the chosen creature becomes the target of a spell, draw a card.
2/3
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:38:09 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 04:38:07 AM »
Creatures learn spells. by 1) when creature etb, imprint card of specific quality. 2) as instant/sorcery resolves, attach to creature of specific type (ala cipher).

on instant/sorcery:
Typecast - <subtype> (Then you may exile this spell card imparted on a <subtype>. Whenever that creature attacks, its controller may cast a copy of the imparted card without paying its mana cost.)

on creatures:
Learns a <card quality> (when this etbs, exile a <card quality> card from your hand. : copy exiled card and cast it.)

Ex.

Soldier's Shout
Instant
Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
Typecast - Soldier (Then you may exile this spell card imparted on a Soldier. Whenever that creature attacks, its controller may cast a copy of the imparted card without paying its mana cost.)

Prodigal Wizard
Creature - Human Wizard
Learns a blue instant (when this etbs, exile a blue instant card from your hand. : copy exiled card and cast it.)
2/2

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:52:03 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Contains spoilers for Battle for Zendikar

Eldrazi has a new ability called

Spoiler  Devoid:
Devoid (This has no colors.)

such as this spoiled card:

Dominator Drone
Creature - Eldrazi Drone
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Ingest (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles the top card of his or her library.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control another colorless creature, each opponent loses 2 life.
3/2

Coincidentally, I was just thinking of something like this. Originally I thought "Ætherwalk" sounded very cool and wanted to find a suitable mechanic for it. Since it contains the word Æther, it would probably involve colorless quality. So I was thinking a new supertype:

Æther xxx
(Æther cards are colorless.)

Then related abilities:

Æthergon Leviathan
Æther Creature - Leviathan
(Æther cards are colorless.)
Affinity for colorless nonland (This costs less to cast for each colorless nonland permanent you control.)
Trample
8/8

Then finally back to Ætherwalk, it would come out like this:

Æthergon Skywalker
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
Ætherwalk (This can't be blocked if you control a colorless nonland permanent or you casted a colorless spell this turn.)
2/2

Naturally, this would imply colorless instant and sorcery spells paid with colored mana, ala Ghostfire, or colorless mana, ala All is Dust.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 07:23:38 PM »
Survive (When ~ dies, you may return it to your hand.)

ADMIN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »
I just came up with a new term: mock fight. Mock fights happen between two creature cards even if they're not on the battlefield. The results are determined by the winners or losers. Think of it as alternative to clash or flipping coins.

Miscarriage
Instant
Reveal a creature card in your hand. It mock fights target creature spell. If that creature spell loses the mock fight, counter that spell. If your revealed creature card loses the mock fight, discard it. (A creature loses a mock fight if its toughness is equal or less than the other creature's power. Both creatures can lose in a single mock fight.)

* (inspiration)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
Universal mana seems an interesting idea. Not sure if it's right for this remake idea, but perhaps it might inspire a whole new mechanic or set idea. By universal mana, it means "One universal mana can be spent to pay the cost of one mana of any type." That includes any of the five colors, colorless mana, and even "snow" mana.

e.g.
: Add one mana that is all colors and all types to your mana pool.
 or
: Add one universal mana to your mana pool. (One universal mana can be spent to pay the cost of one mana of any type.)

* (inspiration)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:29:19 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »
enchantment Shrines that turn into Spirit creatures. There can be many variations, types of triggers, activations, cycles, etc.

new keyword action
Animate as (this becomes a creature in addition its other types.)

e.g.

Fire Shrine
Tribal Enchantment - Spirit Shrine
At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
, Tap a non-Spirit creature you control: Animate ~ as a 2/2 creature.

Blessed Shrine
Tribal Enchantment - Spirit Shrine
When ~ enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life.
Whenever one or more creatures attack you, you may animate ~ as a 1/3 creature with lifelink.
, Tap a non-Spirit creature you control: Animate ~ as a 1/3 creature with lifelink.

* (inspiration)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »
Imitation (As long as another creature on the battlefield also has flying, hexproof, trample, reach, indestructible, haste, menace, first strike, double strike, vigilance, deathtouch, and/or lifelink, this creature also has those abilities.)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Disarm
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »
Disarm is a keyword action performed by creatures.

To have a creature disarm a face-down permanent, (Turn that face-down permanent face up. If this creature's power is greater than or equal to that permanent's converted mana cost, that permanent is sacrificed. Otherwise, sacrifice this creature.)

ex.

Dungeon Thief
Creature - Rat Rogue
When ~ is blocked by a face-down creature, you may have ~ disarm that creature. (Turn that face-down permanent face up. If this creature's power is greater than or equal to that permanent's converted mana cost, that permanent is sacrificed. Otherwise, sacrifice this creature.)
3/2

Combat Engineer
Creature - Dwarf Warrior
When ~ attacks, you may have it disarm target face-down permanent. (Turn target face-down permanent face up. If this creature's power is greater than or equal to that permanent's converted mana cost, that permanent is sacrificed. Otherwise, sacrifice this creature.)
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent during ~’s disarming, it deals 3 damage to that player.
4/4

Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Creature - Human Soldier
, : ~ disarms target face-down permanent. (Turn target face-down permanent face up. If this creature's power is greater than or equal to that permanent's converted mana cost, that permanent is sacrificed. Otherwise, sacrifice this creature.)
Whenever a player sacrifices a permanent during ~’s disarming, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
3/3

Or simplify to succeed/fail at disarming.

When this attacks you may disarm target face-down creature. If it succeeds, that creature is sacrificed.

Whenever this succeeds at disarming, put a 1/1 counter on it.

Whenever this succeeds at disarming draw a card.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:05:29 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:09 PM »
Tidings <cost> (<cost>, Put CARDNAME from your graveyard on the bottom of your library: Draw a card.)

Ex.

Tidy Bear
Creature -- Bear
Tidings (, Put CARDNAME from your graveyard on the bottom of your library: Draw a card.)
2/2

Under Seize
Instant
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on the bottom of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard.
Tidings (, Put CARDNAME from your graveyard on the bottom of your library: Draw a card.)

Shifting Sands
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice CARDNAME: Add to your mana pool.

For a water world, this keyword is equivalent to cycling and clues and cantrips. It can go on all colors and all card types.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
Enchantment tokens:

Chant N means put N colorless Song enchantment tokens onto battlefield with "1, sacrifice this enchantment: Gain 2 life."

Persona is new creature type specifically for Enchantment Creatures (like Construct is to Artifact Creature).

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:54 AM »
Disabilty (This object's abilities can't be activated or triggered.)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »
Invoke N - <cost> (<cost>, Discard ~: Exile the top N cards of your library. Until the beginning of your next upkeep, you may play those cards.)

where N is usually 2 and cost 2.

Flavorly fits Izzet the most. But can replace Cycling as the block's smoothing mechanic.

ex.

Thassa's Showers
Instant
Return two target creatures to their owner's hands.
Invoke 2 - (, Discard ~: Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the beginning of your next upkeep, you may play those cards.)

Purphoros's Temper
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +3/+0 until end of turn.
Invoke 2 - (, Discard ~: Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the beginning of your next upkeep, you may play those cards.)