Author Topic: Ergonomic Keyboard Layouts for Handheld / Smartphone / Touchscreen / Tablet  (Read 11922 times)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Alternative layouts for touch interfaces including touchscreens, handheld devices, smartphones, and tablets where you peck, point, and press one key at a time (as opposed to a physical keyboard where multiple fingers are involved). Some apps also let you swipe across the screen to form words without lifting the finger.

My package of layouts are available for Android: Download from Google Play Store
 or scan this QR code:

or direct download APK file

Above Android app requires Anysoftkeyboard

Also recommend trying Multiling O Keyboard (MOK) app for custom layouts with swiping.

Below are layouts I designed.

4 rows (includes the number row, e.g. Nintendo DS's DS Organize, regular keyboard)
5 rows (e.g. smart phones that allow customized layouts)

Miscellaneous layouts
  • BEAKL
  • FITALY
  • OPTI

Spoiler:
make ergonomic input method editor for android using the above layouts

Project put on hold indefinitely since I found AnySoftKeyboard

Possible names:
RHIME
Trime
HexaLiteral
Nuhnye Dutgash
nuh = 6, nye = side, dut = tap, gash = board

Ideas:
Hexalateral keys.
Gestures to perform meta functions, such as turn on or off caps; fling on key to shift it; select all text; copy, cut, paste; etc.
For two hand typing, put space on both sides.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:58:24 PM by Den »
Support me on Patreon

I saw. I conquered. I came.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
TEA Ring
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
First layout is called TEA RING. Let me show you a template based on the DSOrganize program.

On my DS where I use DSOrganize, the keyboard is staggered, meaning the keys are not directly on top of each other, but diagonal. Actually, you can think of it as hexagonal layout but using squares instead of hexes. Anyway, the central ring of keys are shaped around a central key; thus this central ring of keys is identified on three rows such that top row has two keys, middle row has three keys, and bottom row has two keys. In the image above, the central ring (shown in red background) is occupied by the letters IO / TEA / NS, where the central key is E.

Explanation:

Three of most common letters in many languages, not just English, are EAT. Especially EA which consistently place first and second in many frequency charts of different languages around the world. Thus, it makes perfect sense to put these three letters in the center of the action--that is, typing with the stylus or finger on a touchpad or tablet interface.

In a similar fashion, the letters in the central ring marked by the red background--IOTEANS--consistently place in the top 5 to top 10 in frequency charts of many languages. Thus, it is perfectly logical to place them together where they are easy to find and easy to connect when typing digrams and trigrams with each other.

Following the above reasons, the next ring of letters around the center red ring--this time the letters are colored with a yellow background--for the most part place in the top 10 to top 15 in most language frequency charts. Thus, they are placed adjacent to the red ring.

Finally, the remaining letters in the green background are placed according their most frequent digrams with their partners in the yellow and red rings. For instance, K commonly follows C and N in many English words. Hence K is placed on the same side where C and N are found.

The numerals 0-9 (with the light blue background) are placed somewhat vertically. Like the letters, it is more efficient to group them in a ring rather than linearly. Hence, the lower numerals are found in one part of the keyboard and the upper numerals in another part, while the zero is in the middle. Furthermore, the mathematical operations and symbols are place close to the numerals for easy access.

Punctuations and math symbols are in keys with dark blue background. Some symbols are now unshifted compared to traditional keyboards: namely double quotes ", plus +, and parentheses (). Others symbols remain unshifted, namely comma ,, period ., hyphen/minus -, slash /, semicolon ;, and single quote/apostrophe '.

An advanced variation of TEA ring with more ergonomic 5 rows can be found in the following post:
TEA ring layout for MOK (recommended)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:07:13 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Vowel sandwich layout
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
Second layout is called Vowel Sandwich. Let me show you a template based on the DSOrganize program.

Explanation:

Notice how in any language the vowels are sandwiched between consonants--e.g. CAT. To extend this metaphor, the vowels in this layout are placed horizontally on the middle row. Then the consonants surround the vowels above and below them.

Let's step back a bit. In linguistics, there are known to be two types of letters: consonants (C) and vowels (V). The most common arrangements of C and V in words are vowel sandwich (CVC), half-sandwich (CV or VC) and cake (CVCV). Notice that in these patterns, the vowel is expected to be next to a consonant. In longer words and in languages made up of half-sandwiches (such as Japanese and Mandarin Pinyin), you go back and forth between C and V repeatedly. Since there are only five vowels and sometimes Y, and they are used repeatedly and thus among the most used letters in the world, why not put them in a place where it is easy to find them? Hence, what would be easier than aligning them in a row?

Back to the layout, the vowels (in red background) coincidentally are found in the same order as the English alphabet. However, this was not by design. The criteria for the order of the vowels were thus:

• E should be placed as close to the middle of the screen as possible.
  • Find the most common vowel-vowel digrams. In English, the three most common V-V digrams are EA, OU, and IO. Thus, these letters are adjacent to each other.
  • The five vowels AEIOU and Y would then take up six keys on the same row. On most keyboards, the middle row can only allow between 8 and 11 keys. Following rules 1 and 2, it so happens that the English order AEIOU and Y is the best order; the benefit of this order is that everybody is familiar with this order. That is, this layout has a low learning curve for users.

After the vowels are in place, it's just a matter of placing the most frequent consonants next to the vowels, and the less frequent on the fringe. In the image above, the most frequent consonants are in the orange background, followed by yellow letters in moderate frequency, and the rest in green background. You will notice this works for many languages besides English. That is, in many languages, the letters TRSNHLD are consistently among the most frequent consonants.

Again, the frequency of digrams and trigrams also come into play when placing the consonants. For example:
  • TH and HE are the most common digrams in English.
  • F is placed above I and O to easily form the words 'if' and 'for' (programmers will appreciate this).
  • MP and MB are usually found together.

And so forth.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:52:42 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
[Dev] Android IME
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:52:59 AM »
Currently only the AnySoftKeyboard app for the Android allows you to create your own custom keyboard layout. The above apk download only works if you have AnySoftKeyboard app installed. To choose the following layouts provided by the Shenafu's Language Pack, under AnySoftKeyboard settings, click Keyboard, and then select one or more of these layouts.

Recommended ergonomic layouts: for portrait mode, HexaLiteral or PRTHSKX or WHEARVX or WHTARKX or Vowel Ring 2 or Vowel Sandwich. For split landscape mode, Vowel Ring.

WHTARKX layout (highly recommended)

TEAION layout

Vowel Ring layout

Vowel Ring 2 layout (recommended)

Vowel Sandwich layout (recommended)

How to create an AnySoftKeyboard language pack.

http://developer.android.com/resources/browser.html?tag=input
http://code.google.com/p/softkeyboard/wiki/HowToCreateLanguagePack
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:22:05 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Re: Keyboard Layouts for Handhelds / Smartphones / Touchpad / Tablet
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
Updated and improved the Android layouts in the previous post.
Added WHTARKX and Vowel Ring 2 and Vowel Sandwich layouts, which are the recommended layouts.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:04:03 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:01:38 AM »
Added WHEARVX and Home Block

WHEARVX layout (recommended)
space is moved one square to the left compared to WHTARKX and comma moved down

Home Block layout (recommended)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:06:30 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:14:06 AM »
Added WideSplit layout

WideSplit layout (recommended for tablet split landscape)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:27:10 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added HexaLiteral, PRTHSKX, and 2-Thumbs-Down layouts (all recommended).

HexaLiteral layout (highly recommended)

PRTHSKX layout (recommended)

2 Thumbs Alternation layout (recommended for typing with both thumbs, high hand alternation, low same hand)

2 Thumbs Same Hand layout (recommended for typing with both thumbs, low hand alternation, high same hand)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:55:27 PM by ADMIN »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Some ideas-
- buttons to type entire words , ex. the

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added Vertigo (2-Thumbs) (recommended) and VertHome

Vertigo layout (recommended, especially for editing wikis)

VertHome layout
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:16:34 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added Hex Cluster (highly recommended for twyping = typing + swiping)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:23:05 AM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added Ragnorak (highly recommended for 2-thumb typing Dvorak style)
Has space cluster on each side.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:09:02 AM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added 3rd party layouts (for comparison): Fitaly and Opti

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added BEAKL (2-hand typing on tablet landscape)

Set AnySoftKeyboard keys to height of 0.8. Home row is middle row. Use thumbs to hit shift and backspace.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:08:49 AM by Den »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
I actually tried Vertigo type layout on computer keyboard the other day ... thought it was a new idea. Scores on Patrick were not so good, it does not make sense to put little-used numbers on home row or prime index-finger spots. I guess mobile devices will be a different experience.

Am installing the software to test ... currently use paid-for SwiftKey.

Cheers, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
I actually tried Vertigo type layout on computer keyboard the other day ... thought it was a new idea. Scores on Patrick were not so good, it does not make sense to put little-used numbers on home row or prime index-finger spots. I guess mobile devices will be a different experience.

Am installing the software to test ... currently use paid-for SwiftKey.

Cheers, Ian

Mobile and stylus typing involves more of the wrist and thumbs, so up and down motion is more efficient. Thus arranging in columns rather than rows is more ergonomic. Actually, circular is most efficient, but there is a limit to column height before it blocks out the screen. So layouts still tend to spread more sideways than I'd like. But it still works great since you really only need to optimize the first ten or twelve keys. The rest can fall in place based on digrams, which I feel is more important than on desktop keyboard. Adjacentness helps the continuation of typing, and improves ergonomics and speed.

For 2-thumb layouts, I might need to put the core letters higher andd to the center where the thumbs naturally rest. However this will obstruct the view of the bottom letters.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
All layouts in this post are for 2-thumb typing. For tablets, try split landscape.

Added Righty (highly recommended)
Favors right hand and top two rows.

Added Imagettem
Has space cluster on each side.

Added Easthorn
Favors right hand and top two rows
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:05:46 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added Hex Hung (highly recommended for twyping = typing + swiping)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Added Hex 36 (highly recommended for twyping = typing + swiping)

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Re: Ergonomic Keyboard Layouts for Handheld / Smartphone / Touchscreen / Tablet
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
So I still have not got around to mastering how to make Android apps (BTW your link above to how to make a language page for ASK now gives a Googleized 404).

I was on Swiftkey but became wary of all my stuff getting shipped off to Redmond. Tried ASK as well as with some of your layouts, but it did not swipe (unless I was doing something wrong) or there was something else I didn't like about it so went looking for other options. Long story short, went via Kii (v2 beta) and Ai (their idea of 'privacy' bothered me) and eventually ended up with MultiLing O. This is very configurable, both in terms of cosmetics and layout. Also you can fiddle the layouts by editing a text file, instead of having to create apks. Also developer actually responds directly to queries :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kl.ime.oh&hl=en

Current layout attached, meant for swiping rather than TwoThumbs. Still a work in progress. Layout was modified from supplied sample QWERTY+arrows.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:35:30 PM by iandoug »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 12:53:16 AM »
Thanks for suggesting multi long o. It seems great potential. Finally a swiping keyboard that lets you customize layout.

For any thumb layout, it's more ergonomic and efficient to be as round as possible. Not flat and long. especially true for swiping, else you're wasting energy traversing great distances across the entire screen for every word. It gets tiresome like immediately.

Thus I suggest more rows, about 5. Shorten columns to about 7.

Btw where are instructions to make own layout and theme?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:29:46 AM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 06:35:31 AM »
I found the URL you can visit on your phone that lets you edit the layout and apply directly to the app: http://ok-layout.appspot.com/le.html

I'm testing out Vowel Sandwich because that's the last layout I have that doesn't put the space in the middle, which would interfere with swiping. already can feel it's much better than qwerty and other flat, wide typewriter-based layouts.

Code: [Select]
210kblfpjz
543whtrmvx
876aeiouyq
[SHIFT]9cdnsg[DEL]
[TOOL][ALTGR:,][SPACE][][][SYM:.][ENTER]

and the generated URL to install the layout to the phone app:
Spoiler:
http://ok-layout.appspot.com/le.html?%7B%0A%22title%22%3A%22Vowel%20Sandwich%22%2C%0A%22onScreen%22%3A%7B%0A%22main%22%3A%5B%0A%22210kblfpjz%22%2C%0A%22543whtrmvx%22%2C%0A%22876aeiouyq%22%2C%0A%22%5BSHIFT%5D9cdnsg%5BDEL%5D%22%2C%0A%22%5BTOOL%5D%5BALTGR%3A%2C%5D%5BSPACE%5D%5B%5D%5B%5D%5BSYM%3A.%5D%5BENTER%5D%22%0A%5D%2C%0A%0A%22sym%22%3A%5B%0A%22%C2%A3%C2%A5%E2%82%AC%24%25%5E%26*()%E2%84%96%C3%B7%E2%88%9A%22%2C%0A%22~%60%7B%7D%5C%5C_-%3D%7C%2B%C2%A7%E2%88%B7%E2%80%A0%22%2C%0A%22%40%5B%5D%23%C2%B1%2F%C3%B7'%5C%22%C2%AB%C2%BB%E2%80%94%E2%80%A1%22%2C%0A%22%5BSHIFT%5D%E2%80%A6%3C%3E!%3B%3A%3F%E2%80%B9%E2%80%BA.%2C%5BDEL%5D%22%2C%0A%22%5BLOCK%5D%5BALTGR%3A%2C%5D%5BSPACE%5D%5B%5D%5B%5D%5BSYM%3A.%5D%5BENTER%5D%22%0A%5D%2C%0A%0A%22altGr%22%3A%5B%0A%22%5C%22%C2%AF%60%CB%87%C2%B4%C2%A8%CB%99%CB%9A%C2%B8%EF%B9%90%CB%9B%CB%98%CB%9C%CB%86%22%2C%0A%22%E2%80%95%E2%88%91%C3%A9%C9%99%C2%AE%E2%80%A0%CE%A9%C5%93%C3%B8%CF%80%E2%80%A2%C2%B7%22%2C%0A%22%C3%A6%C3%9F%E2%88%82%C3%B0%C6%92%C2%A9%C2%AA%C2%BA%E2%88%86%E2%89%A0%C4%B8%E2%88%9E%22%2C%0A%22%5BSHIFT%5D%CA%92%CE%A9%E2%89%88%C3%A7%C3%BE%E2%88%AB%C5%8B%C2%B5%E2%89%A4%E2%89%A5%5BDEL%5D%22%2C%0A%22%5BLOCK%5D%5BALTGR%3A%2C%5D%5BSPACE%5D%5B%5D%5B%5D%5BSYM%3A.%5D%5BENTER%5D%22%0A%5D%2C%0A%0A%22num%22%3A%5B%0A%22%5BSpace%5D123%5BDel%5D%22%2C%0A%22*456%23%22%2C%0A%22%2B789-%22%2C%0A%22%5BLock%5D%2C0.%5BEnter%5D%22%0A%5D%0A%7D%0A%7D%0A

attached screenshot.

(maybe later try again with updated TEA ring, which is more hexagonal.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:11:36 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
Here's updated TEA ring for MOK.

654vwbp
32xchrlz
10jteam
87qsingy
[SHIFT]9.fuodk[DEL]

Spoiler:
http://ok-layout.appspot.com/le.html?%7B%0A%22title%22%3A%22TEA%20Ring%22%2C%0A%22onScreen%22%3A%7B%0A%22main%22%3A%5B%0A%22654vwbp%22%2C%0A%2232xchrlz%22%2C%0A%2210jteam%22%2C%0A%2287qsingy%22%2C%0A%22%5BSHIFT%5D9.fuodk%5BDEL%5D%22%2C%0A%22%5BTOOL%5D%5BALTGR%3A%2C%5D%5BSPACE%5D%5B%5D%5B%5D%5BSYM%3A.%5D%5BENTER%5D%22%0A%5D%0A%7D%0A%7D%0A

attached screenshot.

issues:
the keys are not all the same size.
punctuation layer needs heavy modification.

need lots of time and trial and error to fix these issues (since i can't find any documentation on the syntax.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:12:18 PM by Den »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Best I can figure re the syntax is that it's one row at a time... hang 5

I saw a page somewhere that had some help for the syntax.

Have you seen this (go via desktop not cellphone):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2aTd62_bR8QUUg3amhUQmtBU1k

Will try out your layouts, just not tonight ... need to try to get SSH/LetsEncrypt working on a client's server :-)
I still struggle with my own, feels like the l, d and r are on the wrong sides... but where they are is better for the bigrams. Probably muscle memory from QWERTY.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Also the symbols load from left to right, so if the symbol rows (in separate section on the DIY website layout builder) are too long then the ones at the right don't get shown.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Re tearing key sizes ... the app auto-sizes the keys. So to get them the same size, put the same number in each row ...

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Vowel Ring for MOK (highly recommended)

654mdfj
32prioyx
10cenuq
87whtagv
[SHIFT]9'blskz[DEL]

sym:
{}=|%&^
[]+$#;@~
()-?!:_
<>*/\"`

attached screenshot.

features:
spread vowels in a ring. (certain vowels too close can confuse word prediction, e.g. E/A)
common letters to the center or left of center. (right finger hides letters, so put uncommon letters at right edge.)

problems with MOK:
dictionary missing lots of words.
can't add new words to dictionary.
word prediction doesn't sort by user's frequency.
swiping long words is tedious.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:27:44 PM by Den »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
@Den : Which would you say is your best layout for swiping?

Busy comparing layouts, I redid mine a bit to put numpad on left and letters where 4-0 where.

"Evaluating" them by counting swipe lengths for common bigrams/trigrams/quadgrams, scaled by frequency.

Initial results: (Lower is better)
Z3 (new layout) : 230.47
Z2 (letters same as Z1 posted above): 248.53
Qwerty: 467.58
Colmak: 530.83

ToDo: Dvorak, and suggestion from you.

I suppose it's unfair to compare things like Colmak against this because design criteria were completely different. But if keyboard apps want to offer options then they should offer best layouts for swiping too...

Cheers, Ian

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
dictionary missing lots of words.
can't add new words to dictionary.
word prediction doesn't sort by user's frequency.
swiping long words is tedious.

1. agreed. For example it was continuously auto-correcting my name it Iran.... fixed by next step below.
2+3. when typing a new word, when it is on it's own on the left in the suggestion bar, long-press on it. You get option to save/increase rank. Learned that from author :-)
4. agreed, especially things like Swiftkey were much better at guessing intended word. And then backspace wipes whole word when I sometimes want to maybe only fix one or two letters.

I trust it will improve over time ;-)

Cheers, Ian

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Some fiddling around produced this...

http://www.keyboard-design.com/swiping.html

Cheers, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
@Den : Which would you say is your best layout for swiping?

I recommend Vowel Ring as closer to ideal, but Vowel Sandwich is also fun and intuitive.

Busy comparing layouts, I redid mine a bit to put numpad on left and letters where 4-0 where.

"Evaluating" them by counting swipe lengths for common bigrams/trigrams/quadgrams, scaled by frequency.

Initial results: (Lower is better)
Z3 (new layout) : 230.47
Z2 (letters same as Z1 posted above): 248.53
Qwerty: 467.58
Colmak: 530.83

ToDo: Dvorak, and suggestion from you.

What algorithm do you use? Just (x, y) distance between keys?

I suppose it's unfair to compare things like Colmak against this because design criteria were completely different. But if keyboard apps want to offer options then they should offer best layouts for swiping too...

If keyboard app makers and people who keep creating "custom" layouts which are just variants of qwerty and other ten-finger layouts don't even acknowledge that there could be better layouts, then by their silence and negligence have positioned themselves out of the argument. So they would have to bear with any results of technical tests. Not that they would care or even notice anyway. In that sense, no feelings could be hurt.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Some fiddling around produced this...

Cheers, Ian

looks quite neat. although i kinda want R closer to E.

btw i have some ideas to improve Vowel Sandwich and TEA Ring, but haven't updated the screenshots.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
looks quite neat. although i kinda want R closer to E.

btw i have some ideas to improve Vowel Sandwich and TEA Ring, but haven't updated the screenshots.

They're basically next to each other ... perhaps you meant two other letters? If you put R and E in same row it messes up things like "for" and "from". It used to be there.

Cheers, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
It's ironic that having common bigrams close together reduces accuracy of word prediction.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
My current layout is not as bad as the first attempts ("PANTHER") ... the keyboard never knew if I meant ant or at.

Current one does get confused between two common words (can't remember which two at the moment) but I think I bumped the one I want more to have higher preference. The keyboard lacks knowledge of English so can't predict next word as well as Swiftkey, for example, can. Suppose that's a consequence of having a small APK as well as supporting scores of languages. (and being a single developer.)

I'm getting the hang of swiping with it, it does better with simple common words. I'm getting into the habit of "planning" my swipe before each word. Hopefully the speed will improve to be faster than simply hunt and peck.

I've noticed that in some cases you need to move from one "cluster" of bigrams/trigrams to another on the opposite side of the board. Dunno if there's a way around that.

Cheers, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
that's the problem with swiping and (poor) word prediction. if you take time to plan how you swipe, that just slows you down, thus losing the benefits of 'faster' layout. not to mention losing your rhythm and train of thought in the process.

for long words, you can try tap the first few letters, then pick the word. instead of swiping the whole word, which depending on the spotty fuzzy predictions can be annoying if it guesses wrong so often,

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
that's the problem with swiping and (poor) word prediction. if you take time to plan how you swipe, that just slows you down, thus losing the benefits of 'faster' layout. not to mention losing your rhythm and train of thought in the process.

for long words, you can try tap the first few letters, then pick the word. instead of swiping the whole word, which depending on the spotty fuzzy predictions can be annoying if it guesses wrong so often,

Yeah, I share your frustrations... word prediction is rather curious at times.

Anyway was poking around and came across these four layouts, dunno if you've seen them before.

Cheers, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Trying to use Opt to find optimized layout for 1-finger typing/swiping. Using this effort grid:

These are some of the layouts it spit out, which look reasonable:
xvdg
wsinbz
hteamj
forlyq
 ucpk

zymb
gnalpj
dierck
vstouq
 whfx
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:38:56 PM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
What if skip over vowels and type only consonants? Well some cases we still need them, like words starting with vowels or short words. Also helpful to type E if it's final letter.

Fortunately MOK does have "vowel optional" feature. Which works quite well (even though the disclaimer says it's only beta feature.) Since we'll be selecting words from prediction more often, better set to add space after each selection.

Simply move the vowels to the side of the layout, so they are still acessible.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:13:29 AM by Den »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
What if skip over vowels and type only consonants? Well some cases we still need them, like words starting with vowels or short words. Also helpful to type E if it's final letter.

Fortunately MOK does have "vowel optional" feature. Which works quite well (even though the disclaimer says it's only beta feature.) Since we'll be selecting words from prediction more often, better set to add space after each selection.

Simply move the vowels to the side of the layout, so they are still acessible.

Forgot to upload my vowel-on-the-side layouts. But found something else that resembles it, merely by alphabetical order:

Of course I think mine work better.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 07:52:44 PM »
(highly recommended) Nvwl (no vowels layout) (in MOK, enable "vowel optional" feature)

67xumc"[DEL]
54yahlbq
32wetsk'
10vinrgz
89jofdp[SHIFT]
[TOOL][ALTGR:,][SPACE][][SYM:.][ENTER]

Nvwl at Multiling O Keyboard Layout Tool to apply to your device

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Apparently someone made a page on Deskthority wiki about my mobile layouts:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Shena%27Fu%27s_touch_keyboard_layouts

It's about a year old, and doesn't have the ones for MOK. Like the vowelless one.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

Dunno if there are any ideas for you here:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~brian/projects/optimizing_keyboards.html

Can't remember if I've posted it before... hope not :-)