Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2018-Oct-22 07:35

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Shoutbox

Den:
Oct. 14 2018 - 5:03am
finally leveler cards is possible on card creator
Den:
Oct. 11 2018 - 12:43am
Vogon Full Art are so awesome
oohrah ;D
Den:
Oct. 09 2018 - 2:15am
KARA are Pretty Girls ... yeah yeah
Den:
Oct. 05 2018 - 2:02pm
Friday. get ready for more Last Man Standing  ;D
Den:
Oct. 03 2018 - 9:28pm
new card frames: Vogon HD, allows much more room for texts, incl. name, type, and esp. rules
Den:
Oct. 02 2018 - 7:48am
more card creator changes
Den:
Sep. 28 2018 - 5:08pm
Jim Morrison = Mr. Mojo Risin'
Den:
Sep. 19 2018 - 4:15pm
twit to image works again

Author Topic: Balanced Keyboard Layout  (Read 170051 times)

sdothum

• View Profile
Re: Balanced Keyboard Layout
« Reply #1400 on: 2018-Jul-27 11:47 »
rolls with thumb feel weird..

Letters on thumb are 'i' and 's'. Space is on home middle finger.

I haven't found the thumb H awkward.. but that could just be me. The thumb I is interesting -- it shaves 1% off the +Effort across the board against my thumb H (with a simple swap to create home row QHEA) on klatest. Must give it a try..

When you go radical you don't hold back! I'm not sure I could lose the thumb Space key..
« Last Edit: 2018-Jul-27 11:56 by sdothum »

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1401 on: 2018-Jul-27 14:10 »
Thumb rolls could feel better only if their size and placement exactly conform to one's hand. Alas I don't think Kinesis is it. Ideally they are 1u just like other keys, and closer.

Regardless, thumbs are not known for nimbleness, so overuse may slow you down a tad. Being anchored to the thumb would also adversely affect the agility and freedom of movement of the other fingers.
Support me on Patreon

I saw. I conquered. I came.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1402 on: 2018-Jul-27 15:24 »
Thumb rolls could feel better only if their size and placement exactly conform to one's hand.

I came to the same conclusion about the arrow keys the other day.
Actually the whole Ctrl/Shift/Insert/Delete/Home/End/Arrows cluster, that I use so much.

And I need it one-handed because my left hand is typically on the trackball when doing those operations.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1403 on: 2018-Jul-27 19:21 »
It's ironic that the most common character (space) is typed by a slow finger (thumb). Wouldnt it be better to move it to a faster finger? In fact, we should ask, does the thumb deserve a role in typing (like the pinky)?

It would work for me to replace the space with numlock. To provide easier access to numpad. One might also put arrows and nav keys in the same layer, on the other hand opposite from the numpad.
« Last Edit: 2018-Jul-27 19:25 by Den »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1404 on: 2018-Jul-28 04:00 »
It's ironic that the most common character (space) is typed by a slow finger (thumb). Wouldnt it be better to move it to a faster finger? In fact, we should ask, does the thumb deserve a role in typing (like the pinky)?

We did, see attached. Also
beakl-clp-0.en.matrix
seelpy-1-lowscore.en.ergolinear

and Schizo put space on Shift-AltGr layer
SchizoKBD AltGrSpc
SchizoKBD shifted AltGrSpc

which all my logic screams against.... :-)   [ ... mmm these two look the same ... must check if I made a mistake renaming them and lost one]

It would work for me to replace the space with numlock. To provide easier access to numpad. One might also put arrows and nav keys in the same layer, on the other hand opposite from the numpad.

I'm wondering if possibly the Kinesis form factor / key positioning is playing a part here. Would you still have the same issues on a Matrix layout?

In terms of "Malt theory" (for lack of a better term) the thumbs are strong and should be used for common letters.

In terms of "Ian theory", (for lack of a better term), the Direction of Travel for thumb keys is All Wrong. The natural motion for us chimpanzees with opposable thumbs is towards the palm, not at right angles to the plane of the palm, although clearly that is also "doable", as anyone who has played thumb drums on their desk can confirm. Or keyboard users and pianists, for that matter :-)

In my "stick keys on paper and see how it feels" experiments I came to realise that clusters like on Maltron or Kinesis were awkward ... the thumb can't easily navigate those clusters. (see other attached). Or maybe just my thumbs. So I reduced them and eventually ended up with Ergolinear structure. Where Thumb is used, but does not move sideways much, just mostly up and down.

I think the issue with Space on Thumb on ANSI/ISO layouts is that they typically make it HARDER to press than regular keys. Which makes it slower. And strains the thumbs more. I've seen keyboard designs where the designer deliberately picks a heavier switch for the thumbs. Never understood that.

Agapium

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: 2018-Jul-28 23:35 »
Been tinkering around for about a month trying to make a layout that I think is 'perfect'. Recently I feel like I've achieved satori, which is also what I affectionately call my layout of 4 years, and today I applied your BEAKL theory to what I was building upon, and I like the outcome. I look forward to trying to this out. Thanks for you and everyone else's efforts.
Code: [Select]
z c p f k    u o r q
w s t h d    a e n y
v g b m x    i   l j

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1406 on: 2018-Jul-29 03:45 »
and I like the outcome.

Yes, looks promising. Some interesting ideas. Can you please post full layout when you're done? :-)

Thanks, Ian

Agapium

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: 2018-Jul-29 07:21 »
I'm only focused on the letters, but if I'm ever completely satisfied, of course!

Again, keep up the good work guys.

z c l d k    u o f q
w s n t p    a e r y
b m x g v    i   h j

z c r m k    u o f q
w s n t p    a e l y
b g x d v    i   h j
« Last Edit: 2018-Jul-29 09:42 by Agapium »

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: 2018-Jul-29 15:10 »
X
z c l d k    u o f q
w s n t p    a e r y
b m x g v    i   h j

z c r m k    u o f q
w s n t p    a e l y
b g x d v    i   h j

Could you explain the relationships between these layouts and your previous post?

Agapium

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: 2018-Jul-29 17:21 »
Could you explain the relationships between these layouts and your previous post?
What I think is an improvement over the previous layout's post and a variation of it.

Agapium

• View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: 2018-Aug-01 01:02 »
q p o u    b d l h z
y i e a x  c s t n w
j     k    g f m r v
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-04 22:18 by Agapium »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Programming the board
« Reply #1411 on: 2018-Aug-01 14:07 »
@sdothum

Hi. Posting publically in case someone else can help (or it can help someone else).

Finally trying to get my keyboard up and running. I had previously done some configs in QMK, and after the usual fun and games, managed to get it compiled and written to the Teensy 2.0++.

Which bricked it. Reset it by rebooting and holding switch for 15 seconds while rebooting.

At that point I realised that QMK is not user-friendly, a keyboard config system should not be having end users directly editing C code to make it work. It should work via one config file.

So then stumbled upon exactly that on DT, where Soarer had done something like that a few years back.

I followed the brief "big dummy's" guide and flashed the appropriate hex file, rebooted it, and hid_listen this time picked up the Teensy.

But pressing keys does nothing ... neither in hid_listen or xev.

Which is a problem because I have no idea where to start trying to debug this.

Possibilities:
1. my wiring sucks
2. the diodes are the other way around to what the programs expect
3. I fried something when soldering in the wires
4. general incompatibility between Soarer's stuff or QMK, and my grid layout.
5. I'm using a pin on the board that I'm not supposed to. Or not using one that I should be. But don't think so.

Trying to figure out where to start to find the problem. Then can look for solutions...

Any ideas welcome .. :)
I need some way to verify that the hardware is all okay and correct. Pressing keys does nothing. I would be happy with "anything" because that at least says something works.

Thanks, Ian

sdothum

• View Profile
Re: Programming the board
« Reply #1412 on: 2018-Aug-01 15:37 »
@sdothum

Trying to figure out where to start to find the problem. Then can look for solutions...

Hello Ian,

I know my way around QMK well enough to make it dance but I have not built any hand wired boards (on my todo list).

I suggest you post an SOS at https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/. Builders there should be able to provide hw debugging advice.

Once everything is electrically sound, I can offer QMK assistance.

Steven
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-01 16:21 by sdothum »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1413 on: 2018-Aug-01 16:43 »

I suggest you post an SOS at https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/. Builders there should be able to provide hw debugging advice.

Thanks, was wondering where the help channel was. Let me first try to make sense of Soarer's docs, as they're apparently quite good.

Will revert.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1414 on: 2018-Aug-02 10:49 »
Will revert.

Discovered I had specified the wrong chip in the configs.... so now keyboard is "live". Keypresses work, most letters are okay. Some to fix, like the hH which is on the space key, but I was planning on letting xkb handle that anyway ..., and all the other AltGr letters.
And have two Ms and no W.

Two of the LEDs are on permanently, will need to figure that out. Want to use LEDs for
1. Insert Mode is on
2. Caps lock. Or possibly "AltGr is pushed" ...
3. Scroll lock (I think).

Originally had 4 LEDs, the 4th was supposed to be for the built-in Pomodoro timer (still need to figure out how to do that....)

There's no Num lock function at all.

Going to be a huge learning curve getting used to the different form factor and letter layout....

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: 2018-Aug-02 18:33 »
Going to be a huge learning curve getting used to the different form factor and letter layout....

Now the real fun begins, as possibilities beyond mere keymaps open up to you with QMK... :-)

Good luck!

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: 2018-Aug-03 16:20 »
In terms of "Malt theory" (for lack of a better term) the thumbs are strong and should be used for common letters.

To continue the thumb letter conversation, this layout may finally hold long enough for me to get proficient on..

; Y O U Z   G D N M X
Q H E A .   C T R S W
J - ' K ,   B P L F V
        I   _

It emphasizes the finger rolls I am predisposed towards and scores nicely on klatest too :-) Swapping the Q and J betters the score even further by a hair...

; Y O U Z   G D N M X
J H E A .   C T R S W
Q - ' K ,   B P L F V
        I   _

...and rolls nicely as well.

My personal preference is for the Q on home row for the trigrams.
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-05 19:19 by sdothum »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Feedback on ErgoLinear layout etc
« Reply #1417 on: 2018-Aug-06 17:05 »
Hi

So my X6.5 layout on ergolinear is up and running and using it to type this (slowly)

Pic attached. Assorted comments:

Current version was supposed to be finished in black leather but I damaged that layer and more trying to widen the holes to put the pins through. They were originally going to be screws. So ended up with fallback superwood which does not look that great. It is partially assembled.

My carefully calculated split angle is too steep, combined with my short pinkies makes hitting i and r awkward.

h on space is not as awkward as I thought it would be.

Linear layout feels much better than ANSI staggered.

Tend to hit capslock by accident.

AltGr and shift on same thumb not strictly legal for KLE. Having one shift on thumb also a new experience.

ctrl-c v x z t n s r q f w p all work fine on right hand.

Still struggling to get Function keys to work.

Must still sort out LEDs... and blue one is way too bright.

Arrow keys and other nav need a rethink.

FWIW, I am basically letting QMK send qwerty scan codes and then remapping  them in xkb.

Okay all this hardwired-brain-rewiring is mentally exhausting.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
Re: Feedback on ErgoLinear layout etc
« Reply #1418 on: 2018-Aug-06 18:55 »
Why didn't you go X7.1H?

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Re: Feedback on ErgoLinear layout etc
« Reply #1419 on: 2018-Aug-07 01:14 »
Why didn't you go X7.1H?

Keys were already printed for 6.5.

This is essentially a prototype for finding what is good and bad about the form factor.
And a learning curve in hardware design and construction.

Some key choices are annoying already, maybe because I'm typing slowly and more aware of same finger than on qwerty.
eg the GOY and AD and CT. Also KE especially on this forum.

Once I adjust to this form factor and sort out the remaining hardware/software issues I will try other layouts.

« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-07 01:22 by iandoug »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1420 on: 2018-Aug-07 01:58 »
I see X7.1 addresses my same finger issues above. Will have to print some stickers...

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1422 on: 2018-Aug-14 02:21 »
We did, see attached. Also
beakl-clp-0.en.matrix
seelpy-1-lowscore.en.ergolinear

The CLP/SC format actually overruses the thumbs, which is opposite of what we want. unfortunately hard to reduce thumb usage for these.

can there be a better balance?

brewing a combination pinkyless + low thumb usage.

1. No pinkies for typing. One may reassign other utility functions, like editing or navigation.

2. Low thumb. Ideally 5% usage per thumb. so no space. Probably modifiers includiig shift and altgr, due to next point.

3. Fewest keys to cover ASCII visible characters.  95 keys to start. but digits will be accessed on numpad or number row. So only need 85 chars. so need 29 keys with 3 layers, or 22 keys with 4 layers.

Given these constraints, then, pinkyless suggests 22 keys on 4 layers. this is doable with just shift and altgr, the home block, plus two more keys per hand. probably home pinky and index inside column. (if making room for arrows on bottom left hand, left hand will also need another index inside key.)

the main layer should hold the most common chars, including space, comma, and period. less common letters will be relegated to secondary layers. thumbs will be for shift and altgr. thumb usage should be quite low since they access less common chars only. unlike CLP/SC which used modifiers for common chars.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1423 on: 2018-Aug-14 04:35 »
1. No pinkies for typing. One may reassign other utility functions, like editing or navigation.
2. Low thumb. Ideally 5% usage per thumb. so no space. Probably modifiers includiig shift and altgr, due to next point.
3. Fewest keys to cover ASCII visible characters.  95 keys to start. but digits will be accessed on numpad or number row. So only need 85 chars. so need 29 keys with 3 layers, or 22 keys with 4 layers.

Given these constraints, then, pinkyless suggests 22 keys on 4 layers. this is doable with just shift and altgr, the home block, plus two more keys per hand. probably home pinky and index inside column. (if making room for arrows on bottom left hand, left hand will also need another index inside key.)

This post may end up being quite long. Read twice. :-)

Coincidentally I've gone back to the drawing board as well, now that I've identified some issues with ErgoLinear 1 form factor.

1. Years ago when I first saw the Maltron boards, I thought the central numpad was a good idea. Suitable for both lefties and righties. So that got integrated into my thinking at some deep level.
Now however, having built one and tested it a bit, I feel that it's like trying to make a shoe that fits both feet. What seems like "good for either" is actually "good for neither".

I wanted a lefty-righty layout for possible selling purposes. However it would be better to have proper lefty designs, just like lefty scissors. One design does not suit both. And since I'm right-handed, the num pad goes back on the right.

I like to have a numpad for when I need it, and don't like extra separate ones.

2. Consequence: The F-keys, which were integrated into the central numpad, now need to come back. I use F2/F3/F4 quite a bit, the others hardly ever. But I accept that some other users/programs may use them a lot. On the plus side, they take over the 4th row so are much closer than on ANSI/ISO.

3. Consequence 2: the navigation buttons in the centre also suck. Same issues: in theory ambidextrous, in reality awkward. So I'm contemplating a joystick for the arrow keys. I think a playstation-style will maybe work better than an thumbpoint style, but it must be switches not potentiometers, and struggling to find that (and with decent switch life -- 10k presses ain't gonna cut it.)

4. Consequence 4: other nav keys also need to move. I need shift close to arrows (sorted), and ctrl-home or ctrl-end must also be easy. So should shift-home and shift-end. So have ended up with something similar/borrowed from Den's matrix layouts, but split between hands. The hand can drop down and work them with index and middle, while thumb can hit shift and pinky hit ctrl.

5. The two thumb keys next to each other were awkward, particularly turning the thumb in. So moved it down and out for more natural thumb movement.

6. Escape key moves to centre, and added Compose key. Don't know if the EMACs/Vim users use Escape, I know they complain about `~ key position.

7. Put backspace back in similar place to ANSI/ISO mainly due to muscle memory looking for it there. Put Delete in mirror spot on left, dunno if viable.

8. Layout now X7.1. I know the score on Klatest was good, but my mind is still not convinced that h on AltGr is such a good idea. Time will tell.

9. X7.1 actually goes quite a way to meeting your requirements above .... the pinky only has minor characters (except when programming C-style languages). To meet your requirements I think you will have to put all/most of the punctuation on AltGr and Shift-AltGr. I'll play around with designs like that in the next few days once I catch up with current tasks.

Screenshots of current thinking (work in progress), with gamepad style joystick and thumbstick style.

[Aside: still struggling with xkb to get it to do all I want, in particular putting the Function keys on the numpad, and menu/OS on the Escape key... xkb just doesn't like what I tell it. Must be some other config file overriding my instructions.]

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1424 on: 2018-Aug-14 09:11 »
In terms of "Ian theory", (for lack of a better term), the Direction of Travel for thumb keys is All Wrong. The natural motion for us chimpanzees with opposable thumbs is towards the palm, not at right angles to the plane of the palm, although clearly that is also "doable", as anyone who has played thumb drums on their desk can confirm. Or keyboard users and pianists, for that matter :-)

One idea is to have the thumb area connected to the main board with a hinge. The hinge allows it to be adjusted from 0 to 90° (or more). Default state it looks flat to normal users. Advanced and ergonomic-conscious users can tilt to their desired angle.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1425 on: 2018-Aug-14 16:20 »

Can you clarify re digits? (apart from numpad). You want separate row for digits? But digits only, no puncts on them?

thanks, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1426 on: 2018-Aug-14 16:59 »
Can you clarify re digits? (apart from numpad). You want separate row for digits? But digits only, no puncts on them?

thanks, Ian

A row above the letters. It's kind of far, but you don't need to shift to type the numbers. Putting puncs there would require extra shift and extra distance, so putting puncs on number row is far from ideal.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1427 on: 2018-Aug-15 19:00 »
brewing a combination pinkyless + low thumb usage.

Thumb use probably too high for you. But does better than X7.1 on at least some of the inputs. (Klatest scoring)

Work in progress. Don't laugh about the Shift keys ... was only thing that worked.

I think in some of the CLP/Essie layouts we had space on right middle or somesuch, which created enormous problems about what to put above and below, to avoid high same-finger.
Net result was that those keys became effectively underused.

So am not sure that taking space off thumb will be ideal.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1428 on: 2018-Aug-15 22:34 »
BEAKL PLLT x1

iuo  wmdn
ye_ag hrtsp
 , .   lcf

Same finger is not bad. Here only U on same key as SPACE. Below it is reserved for UP arrow.

KLAtest I just made the thumb penalty score almost as bad as pinky. now you can see the difference in finger usage versus space on thumb.

« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-16 14:53 by Den »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1429 on: 2018-Aug-17 10:41 »
KLAtest I just made the thumb penalty score almost as bad as pinky. now you can see the difference in finger usage versus space on thumb.

Um, so you are abandoning Arensito and Malt theory in favour of Scholes theory, and want to basically type with two/three fingers each hand? :-)

Just checking. :-)

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: 2018-Aug-20 13:55 »

Den, would it be possible for you to restore your previous klatest setup as version Den3 (and provide the url for this), and your current klatest as Den4? If this is not possible, could you share the code for that version?

The most recent thumb penalties and scoring weighting really alter the baselines I have been working with. AFAIK there is no way to define a key with not only a keycode but a down state (as a modifier, eg Shift) so my layouts for klatest need extra thumb keys defined for such which skew the results even more negatively with your new weightings.   
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-20 14:18 by sdothum »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1431 on: 2018-Aug-20 17:27 »

Just had a look at how this scores, using Putin's speech as base.

First observation is that X7.1 is knocked down the list, beaten by BEAKL 15 and Opted 4 Ergo Alt.
Second is that your new layout PLLT x1 does not beat any of them. Which surprised me because I was expecting in at #1. (see later)
Second surprise is that my mods to your BEAKL 15 is still best ... was not expecting that. (ditto)

Then did you change the way the "words" score is done? IIRC correctly on previous scoring the best were single-digits (eg 6/7/8/9) but now they're less than 1?

I see you've added some new input texts ... I'll run them through my analysers to see how they letter frequency looks.

Played some more, using different inputs, and the ordering is all over the place ... eg top six for different inputs:
1. Putin
BEAKL 15 Matrix mod Ian
BEAKL Opted4 Ergo Alt   +4
BEAKL 15 Matrix   +4
X7.1H Ergolinear   +6
BEAKL PLLT x1   +9
BEAKL Stretch   +17

Alice:
BEAKL 15 Matrix mod Ian
BEAKL PLLT x1   +7
BEAKL Opted4 Ergo Alt  +9
X7.1H Ergolinear  +9
BEAKL 15 Matrix  +10
P_RN   +17

Nightfall:
BEAKL PLLT x1
BEAKL 15 Matrix mod Ian  +12
BEAKL Opted4 Ergo Alt  +13
X7.1H Ergolinear  +16
BEAKL 15 Matrix  +17
P_RN  +18

Dragonboy:
BEAKL 15 Matrix mod Ian
BEAKL Opted4 Ergo Alt  +4
X7.1H Ergolinear  +4
BEAKL 15 Matrix  +6
P_RN  +11
BEAKL PLLT x1  +11

It looks like BEAKL PLLT  was optimised for Nightfall ... either that, or there's something odd about the scoring calcs?
These are all essentially English prose tests, so shouldn't the general pattern of the scoring, and differences between layouts, be largely the same, with some differences?

Back when we started we could count on MTGap doing very well regardless of the English input tests. ie scores from different prose tests should not differ radically?
Or am I missing something?

Cheers, Ian

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1432 on: 2018-Aug-20 18:12 »
Den, would it be possible for you to restore your previous klatest setup as version Den3 (and provide the url for this), and your current klatest as Den4? If this is not possible, could you share the code for that version?

The most recent thumb penalties and scoring weighting really alter the baselines I have been working with. AFAIK there is no way to define a key with not only a keycode but a down state (as a modifier, eg Shift) so my layouts for klatest need extra thumb keys defined for such which skew the results even more negatively with your new weightings.

Den3 still has old scoring: http://shenafu.com/code/keyboard/kla3/

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1433 on: 2018-Aug-20 18:57 »
I see you've added some new input texts ... I'll run them through my analysers to see how they letter frequency looks.

Well that took way longer than I thought it would.
I had to clean up the texts a bit, to get rid on non-ANSI characters (assorted diacritics, Greek, bullets, em-dash and en-dash, etc ...)

Anyway, compared to "standard letter frequency for English", we have the following "similarity" (using PHP "similar_text" function):
Also first few letters in frequency (up to first Capital)

1. Constructing a Logical Argument, from the old alt.atheism FAQ: 37.437    etaoisnrhlcumfdpgyw.bvT
2. Putin's speech: 36.025    etaonisrhldcumfgpyw,bv.kI
3. Daode-jing: 35.503    etoinasrhldu.cgfywmpvbT
4. A nice cup of tea (George Orwell): 33.540  etoainsrhludyfwcgpbm,.kv-I
5. Constantine (Wikipedia): 33.136   etnaiosrhlducmfpgw,ybC
... (skip a few)
6. Keyboards (Wikipedia): 31.214   etaosrindchlyumpkbfgw,.vT
skip more
7. Nightfall: 25.926   etoanishrlducfmwyg.pb',vk-I
skip more
8. Dragonboy: 23.171   etanohsridlgucwmfyb.,vp"k'T

As a reminder, this is what we want:  etaoinsrhldcumpfg.ywb-,v0k1T (scores were based on the full frequency list, not just this snippet)

So I would not recommend either Nightfall or Dragonboy as good for optimising for English.

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1434 on: 2018-Aug-20 20:28 »
I reevaluated the weights of the final scores due to new thumb penalties raising scores across the board. In short, MTGAP is the baseline and normalized to about 100 overall score in prose.

I included Nightfall and Dragonboy to test different genres. Namely sci-fi and fantasy. So if you were a writer in these genres, these corpus are worth consideration.

The flaw in moving space out of the thumbs and replaced by modifiers at the thumbs, is that same finger and same hand scores will fluctuate wildly, depending on text length and character frequency. This includes CLP/ES and 'Low Thumbs' families. Even for short text samples, these scores can start quite high. Ultimately it is harder to optimize these layout families to minimize this flaw--without additional automatic tools.

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: 2018-Aug-20 23:15 »
Den3 still has old scoring: http://shenafu.com/code/keyboard/kla3/

Thanks for the url but that version still appears to include, I presume, some of the latter thumb penalties.

With the prior version and even the version that you released at the time of the PLLT x1 announcement, my Thumb I layout (named it BEAKL Ti :-) ranked tops across the board on prose -- which I thought was pretty good considering the extra thumb keys that needed to be defined that don't exist on the real keyboard! With kla3 and the latest klatest it now scores worse than QWERTY at the bottom. Not sure what to make of the metrics now. Hope not to lose a useful tool for evaluating future tweaks that is more in line with my thumb bias.
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-20 23:28 by sdothum »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1436 on: 2018-Aug-21 10:42 »
I included Nightfall and Dragonboy to test different genres. Namely sci-fi and fantasy. So if you were a writer in these genres, these corpus are worth consideration.

I think the problem with any given text (prose or scientific papers) is that subject (eg hero of story, chemical or plant discussed in paper) will get used more than normal, and depending on what it is, that's going to skew the character distribution.

I had the bright idea of generating the "perfect" test piece, by working backwards from the character distribution, eg 1000 spaces, 600 (/whatever) "e", 400 (/whatever) "t", etc, then use bigram, trigram, quadgram etc frequency lists plus common words lists to generate text that is English-like and uses all the characters in the pool.

But got stuck at that point, figuring out the next move... :-)

The "bigrams" test is actually a good starting point, the numbers look like this:

bigrams.txt 34.426 76  etaoinrslchdumpgfybwvkxjzq

where the 34.426 is the similarity score as per samples above, and the 76 is the Levenshtein distance from ideal distribution. But only has lower case letters and no punctuation.
At least the e t a o i n part is correct.

(the Logical Argument text above has a Levenshtein distance of 72.)

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: 2018-Aug-21 13:21 »
I think the problem with any given text (prose or scientific papers) is that subject (eg hero of story, chemical or plant discussed in paper) will get used more than normal, and depending on what it is, that's going to skew the character distribution.

I don't think the "subject" in a suitably sized text sample would be significant. Certainly, the vocabulary of the author and their grammatical style (genre) will directly affect the metrics -- not necessarily a bad thing as I have used collections of my own written material in klatest to evaluate the results against Den's selections to further validate the utility of a layout for my particular use case.

I don't know where I stumbled upon these google word frequency files but I have two 100K word frequency lists, one of word usage culled from the web (page content), the other from the google books library, which I use to analyze bigram and trigram frequencies. A mechanism to input these lists would be handy -- the alternative being to simply expand them out by frequency (you'd need to reduce by a suitable factor as, for example, THE in the mentioned frequency files comes in at 23,135,851,162 and 53,097,401,461 respectively, not to mention, combining them!
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-21 14:12 by sdothum »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1438 on: 2018-Aug-21 14:03 »
I don't think the "subject" in a suitably sized text sample would be significant. Certainly, the vocubulary of the author and their grammatical style (genre) will directly affect the metrics -- not necessarily a bad thing as I have used collections of my own written material in klatest to evaluate the results against Den's selections to further validate the utility of a layout for my particular use case.

I was thinking of things like "James slowly out his Baretta." "Careful, Bond" said Miss Moneypenny. Bond shrugged and returned the pistol to its hoster.
etc. "J" is normally rare, but not in a James Bond or Jason Bourne novel.

I don't know where I stumbled upon these google word frequency files but I have two 100K word frequency lists, one of word usage culled from the web (page content), the other from the google books library, which I use to analyze bigram and trigram frequecies. A mechanism to input these lists would be handy -- the alternative being to simply expand them out by frequency (you'd need to reduce by a suitable factor as, for example, THE in the mentioned frequency files comes in at 23,135,851,162 and 53,097,401,461 respectively, not to mention, combining them!

Attached is a few years old. Can't remember where  I found it either... :-)

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1439 on: 2018-Aug-22 02:28 »
J is very common in English names. Can't be called the best layout if common names are hard to type.

For that matter, list of names should be another special category of corpus to consider (just like source code.)

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1440 on: 2018-Aug-22 04:01 »
J is very common in English names. Can't be called the best layout if common names are hard to type.

For that matter, list of names should be another special category of corpus to consider (just like source code.)

Attached sorted, linewrapped, comma-separated list of common US and UK baby names, male and female. Curiously, in UK, John is now in middle 50s, while top boy's name is Mohammed ...

I should maybe remove the commas because character frequency is

, space a e i n l r o y s t

Which is very different to regular English, even apart from the comma.

FWIW X7.1 does well with this list on both KLA3 and Klatest. I assume because of the commas.

I see "J" is second most common capital after "A".

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1441 on: 2018-Aug-22 05:01 »

As a reminder, this is what we want:  etaoinsrhldcumpfg.ywb-,v0k1T (scores were based on the full frequency list, not just this snippet)

Finally found something ... extract from Chapter 1 of Darwin's Origin of the Species.

31.25 71 etaoinsrhdlcmfubpgy,wv.k-I;TxESACRHOMBNqFWDjPz":GLV()?U!KJ'Y2613

Which is correct up to "h", ie first 10 letters including space, and next few are not too bad.
Sourced from Gutenberg.

sdothum

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: 2018-Aug-22 11:59 »
Thanks for the url but... With kla3 and the latest klatest it now scores worse than QWERTY at the bottom. Not sure what to make of the metrics now.

Den,
FYI I resolved the issue more or less. The saved klatest layout file I was using was the source of the problem. Not sure why it started yielding such skewed results all of a sudden with high distance numbers and same finger values in the 60-80 range, but a few edits have resolved the problem. Still could not reproduce the previous across the board top rankings but at least the results are more usable for evaluating future changes to the layout.

I was surprised to find BEAKL Ti score better on the current klatest, given my layout's thumb handicap (not being able to define a klatest thumb down key state, in particular, for Shift). On the prose list it came out at 6 tests <= 3%, 8 <= 5% and 12 <= 10% on the +Effort score.. whatever that means :-)

AZERTYSucks

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: 2018-Aug-24 02:34 »
Hi, I've been messing around with KLA and had a question about optimizing a specific layout. I'm tinkering with the OneProduct layout from this thread (I'm using the updated version a few posts down): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67604.0

I made a couple minor changes and it's scoring pretty well (REALLY well with the new scoring system). However I'm stuck on the positions of the F and G keys and was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for that/any other optimization ideas for the layout. (Edit: by positions I meant which one should be on the home row)

Here's the base layout:
Base1 2 3 4 5      6 7 8 9 0
b l d w g      j , o y q
n r s t m      u a e i h
p z c f v       x . ; / k
and here's where I'm currently at with tweaks:
Tweaked4 0 1 2 3      7 6 5 9 8
b l d w g      j u o y q
n r s t f        , a e i h
p z c m v     x . ; / k
Thanks
« Last Edit: 2018-Aug-24 02:37 by AZERTYSucks »

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1444 on: 2018-Aug-24 03:11 »
and here's where I'm currently at with tweaks:

Is this for English or French?

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1445 on: 2018-Aug-24 18:35 »

Attached list of full names, made by combining previous list of 482 first names with the 482 most common surnames in UK.
In theory it should have been done with more Smiths and Joneses etc in proportion to their commonness.

But good enough for our purposes. I see the capital letter distribution is now better, with J less frequent. Curious that lower t is relatively low down compared to full English frequency.

Letter frequency list:

ea,nrliostyhdmcuAMBgHSCkwJLbRvEWGPDpFKNTxOfzIVZXj'YQ

Mm..... missing two letters.... q and U ....

AZERTYSucks

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: 2018-Aug-25 02:31 »
Is this for English or French?

I was messing around with English.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1447 on: 2018-Aug-25 03:10 »
I was messing around with English.

Have you tried swapping the d and f on your tweaked version?

f and g have very similar frequency in English. So you need to check which bigrams show up on the same finger.

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
common linux commands
« Reply #1448 on: 2018-Aug-25 07:34 »
Attached file has 50 or so common Linux commands, x 10, wordwrapped.

Should probably have a few more with switch options.

X7.1 is best on KLA3, while BEAKL PLLT x1 is best on KLatest, by quite a margin.

Linux/Unix commands often have letter combinations that don't occur in normal English.

I suppose should do the same for Windows universe .... do people still use command prompt a lot on Windows?

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Ideal input....
« Reply #1449 on: 2018-Aug-25 21:48 »
Couldn't sleep so wrote some code ...

It dawned on me a few days ago that neither PHP's "similar_text" function, nor Levenshtein function, was given the correct evaluation of the character frequency in the input files.

For our purposes, we want the similarity to be skewed in favour of the most frequent characters. ie in

space  etaoinsrhldcumpfg.ywb-,v0k1TAIS2C'"/3ED9:MN=RP;4OB5)L(HFx8W67G_UjqzJ<?Y@*VK!|$~[]%X&+#QZ}{>`\^

It doesn't really matter what order \^ are in, but it does matter what order etaoin is in.

So I wrote some code...
1. There are 95 characters.
2. Give each character a "power" based on it's position in the string above. So space is 95, e is 94, etc.
3. Calculate the frequency list for each input text.
4. For each character in the frequency list, multiply it's position (counting down from 95) by it's power calculated in (2).
5. Add these all up and produce a percentage out of the ideal score.

Which produces the attached spreadsheet, sorted according to this metric.

And surprisingly, my favourite input text, Putin's speech, is not at the top. In a bizarre twist of fate, it is the famous paper praising QWERTY ....
@Den: those two Sci-Fi pieces do quite well. (20 and 23 out of 126). Wikipedia Keyboards (3rd)  and Constantine (5th) very good. (note: these are my cleaned-up versions. Well at least Constantine.)

FWIW, Alice only comes in at number 40.

I should make another zip with all the inputs.

ToDo: do this separately for code and numpad tests. Problem is the numpad tests include chars not on the numpad (comma, colon, quote, space).

Note: There might be some random "other" files in this list, which are lurking in the /presets folder for some reason.

3 Guests, 0 Users