Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
2019-Apr-18 19:19

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Shoutbox

break:
Mar. 24 2019 - 7:46pm
@Den Just finished 2nd playthrough and testing session. I really like the edits I have made. Going to take another week to look over things !!
break:
Mar. 11 2019 - 7:04pm
@Den Hey, thanks for all of the support. Finished with the changes and currently playing through the game !!
break:
Feb. 25 2019 - 7:31pm
@Den Yo, finishing up the bosses and will do some more testing before the big release !!
break:
Feb. 18 2019 - 10:42pm
@Den Hey, got the main bosses edited and working on the treasure chests. Getting close to finished my edits !!
break:
Feb. 10 2019 - 9:11pm
@Den Yo, got the shops edited now and will start work on the treasure edits. I bit confused on monster chests ATM...
break:
Jan. 29 2019 - 6:56pm
@Den Hey, really making progress with my Hex-Editing. Replied to my topic...a bit stuck again
break:
Jan. 23 2019 - 11:42pm
@Den  Yo, I am really getting the hang of this HEX editing stuff !! Working on figuring out the growth rate formula !!
break:
Jan. 17 2019 - 8:31pm
@Den I am starting get more understanding about Hex editing.  Thanks for taking time out for me !

Author Topic: Balanced Keyboard Layout  (Read 257931 times)

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
Re: Balanced Keyboard Layout
« Reply #1600 on: 2019-Mar-10 13:23 »
Both layouts are for two right hands, the rows of keys seem to be deliberately arranged in such a way that  both wrists have to be slanted like this: \ \.

Ergonomics expert Karl H.E. Kroemer's opus "Fitting the Human", 7th edition, has the attached image on page 340.

So maybe we're all jumping to the wrong conclusion ... Sholes did his layout for ONE right hand... the left held the page you were typing from.

In which case the consistent slope to the left makes sense.

(FWIW, the edition is rather light on information that would be useful on this project, IMHO).

Cheers, Ian

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
"Code" layout
« Reply #1601 on: 2019-Mar-11 00:59 »
Found while looking for something else.

https://github.com/osls/code-layout

Json attached.

On KLAtest does better than QWERTY but worse than Colemak/Dvorak/MTGap.

Cheers, Ian

philippe.quesnel

• Valued Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Code" layout
« Reply #1602 on: 2019-Mar-11 08:00 »
Found while looking for something else.

https://github.com/osls/code-layout

Json attached.

On KLAtest does better than QWERTY but worse than Colemak/Dvorak/MTGap.

Cheers, Ian
hehe there's an  autohotkey script.. I'll try it out just for fun 😁

shopt

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: 2019-Mar-14 01:38 »
:-)
Okay, you confirm my point that QMK works by faking that it is a US ANSI keyboard. (which, as an aside, is not "the Linux way").

So it pretends you are pressing what would be "a" on US ANSI, regardless of where it actually is on the keyboard.

Now what happens when you're in Canada and you define the normal letter on a key to be é . That does not exist in US ANSI, so what does QMK send?

Your description matches how I understood QMK's intentions to be ('we can do anything", more or less) and yes it can tap dance and do backflips, but at the end of the day it's still faking being a US ANSI when it comes to sending scan codes.

In my case, building the X6.5h (https://keyboard-design.com/letterlayout.html?layout=x6-5h.en.ergolinear) I had issues getting the Function keys to work. This may have been because of XKB (I "Included" other default components including Function keys, and tried to redefine them in XKB mappings by putting them on the numeric shift, but didn't work) rather than QMK. There may also have been some other issue, can't remember now, tried to have another look over the weekend but other stuff got in the way. Will try again during week).

When I looked at it I got very confused by the QMK documentation .... they really need a better Big Dummy's guide for us newbies. With lots of simple examples. At the time I though their config method was unnecessarily complex and there had to be a simpler way, maybe that's not possible if you want to to backflips.

I see I redid QMK to think it's running on a mostly-ANSI layout, so my problems probably lie more at the XKB end.

Will revert. Else I need to put aside time to become more of an expert on QMK. Trying to get away with learning only what I need to learn ;-)
I have to admit I'm with sdothum in not getting what limitation you think QMK is imposing. There are some QMK limitations, but I don't think you are describing a QMK limitation but rather a USB HID limitation. All keyboards send scancodes, and the OS does something with them. QMK can send any scancode. It has made convenient names for the scancodes at https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/tmk_core/common/keycode.h which correspond to US-ANSI. In other words when you use the QMK keycode KC_A on a keymap, it sends the scancode which will be interpreted by any OS using the US-ANSI layout as an "a". You are free to alias or rename any keycode you want to send any scancode you want. Specifically for your french example, see https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/quantum/keymap_extras/keymap_french.h

So I guess the question is what do you think a QMK keyboard cannot do that another physical keyboard could?

iandoug

• View Profile
    • Keyboard Design
« Reply #1604 on: 2019-Mar-14 02:40 »
example, see https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/quantum/keymap_extras/keymap_french.h

So I guess the question is what do you think a QMK keyboard cannot do that another physical keyboard could?

That French file helps a lot.

My issues were (remembering that I was new to QMK and very much at sea)

1. I was expecting the configs to let me specify that pressing row 3 col 2 would send the scancode for row 3 col 2, not that it would send the scancode for qQ (if I figured that out correctly) or jJ if I had decided to put that letter there.

2. it was not immediately obvious how to specify that pressing shift-/ sent something different to what is on US-ANSI / key. Or even (for Essie/Seelpy layouts) that shift-e was actually a and not E.

The French layout shows me how it do that... thanks :-)

I had decided to do it again the QMK way rather than letting XKB do the heavy lifting, but luckily other stuff got in the way, and now I have a better clue... :-)

Thanks, Ian

gyf

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: 2019-Mar-23 19:38 »
Hello all,
tried to optimize both English and Chinese Pinyin and came up with this layout.
By putting i,e,a,o,u on the way same as other BEAKL layout on the left hand side is actually
optimal in my opinion, both logically and ergonomically. The only down side is ua bigram in Chinese and placement of i on ring finger, but cannot come up with a better solution now.

For right hand consonants district, so far I am happy with it, probably gonna tweak a little more, note that these are optimized for both languages so there are some trade offs. I do think that the punctuations part can be optimized further, along with L,R shift, Alt-Gr etc.

What do you guys think of this layout? Still new so I may need some suggestions. I think this layout can be a potential candidate to beat BEAKL-EZ, although more test will be needed.

Btw for benchmarking other languages, I think lyrics is somewhat biased, maybe does not reflects true distribution of frequency for Pinyin, cannot confirm but I will run more paragraph with pinyin later, and I can also provide the text if needed.

Thanks!
gyf

ankt

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: 2019-Mar-28 11:56 »
Here is mine. Maybe that will help you.
https://postimg.cc/H88JjkrT

Den

• Global Moderator
  • Selina is my Superstar
    • View Profile
    • Amuseum
« Reply #1607 on: 2019-Apr-12 05:48 »
This Bruhdooh has Youtube channel where he records his typing speeds: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qYy2El8APSL5sfxzSkBoA

He created a new layout based on BEAKL Opted1 and bit of Colemak to reduce same finger, and now achieved up to 113 WPM after about two weeks:

Even on QWERTY, I notice he rarely uses his pinky--sometimes ring finger to hit A/Q, and he achieves 150+ WPM.

« Last Edit: 2019-Apr-12 06:03 by Den »
Support me on Patreon

I saw. I conquered. I came.

4 Guests, 0 Users